Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Overwrite Marketing Cloud ID (MID)

Level 1

Hi Team,

I want to update/overwrite marketing cloud ID with login IDs of the customers (which is present once a user login). So if a user login with different devices or browsers - We have same marketing cloud ID for that user.

Can some one help me how to overwrite marketing cloud ID (MID) with login IDs.

Thanks,

Parth 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

@parthgupta - Make sure you understand the potential impacts of setting a custom visitorID. For example, you probably won't have your custom login ID when the visitor lands on the login page. In this case, if you're sending data to Analytics on the login page, you'll have to use an anonymous identifier (eg// ECID), which will differ from the login ID that's used after authentication. The result is that a single visitor, in the same session (on consecutive Analytics hits) will appear as two separate visitors.

That said, this article tells you how to set a custom visitorID: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/config-vars/visitorid.html?lan...

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

I have some advice perhaps will give you some ideas...

Instead of trying to replace the MID. Just add another evar for the login ID. This will do 3 key things...

1 login ID as you wanted will be able to track those users like you wanted

2 when both marketing ID and login ID are separate you could make segments in future for MID where login ID id know then you will be able to see those users who are anonymous but not logged in.(since MID and Login ID are associated)

3 Since both are associated you could then pick a Login ID and correlate to see all the different MID(devices or new cookies) that login ID has used or created.

good luck

Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

1. We are already capturing login ID in eVar.

2. This is banking portal. so all the users will be logged in only, there are no anonymous users. Also we are not concerned for anonymous users.

We are looking to overwrite MCMID with login ID so that if user comes from different browsers, different devices then we are able to treat that users as same user only.

Any thoughts on this? What approach we should follow here ?

Community Advisor

"if user comes from different browsers, different devices then we are able to treat that users as same user only."

This caught my attention... high level what is it you are trying to accomplish.

Are you trying to segment users to target them somehow? What is then targeting tool? or targeting desire?

Correct answer by
Level 8

@parthgupta - Make sure you understand the potential impacts of setting a custom visitorID. For example, you probably won't have your custom login ID when the visitor lands on the login page. In this case, if you're sending data to Analytics on the login page, you'll have to use an anonymous identifier (eg// ECID), which will differ from the login ID that's used after authentication. The result is that a single visitor, in the same session (on consecutive Analytics hits) will appear as two separate visitors.

That said, this article tells you how to set a custom visitorID: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/config-vars/visitorid.html?lan...

Level 1

@Brian_Johnson_ : Thanks for the reply. I got your point.

But setting login IDs in visitorID will be a issue as this will not be available to pass into other marketing cloud products like adobe target, what MCMID can do.

Any other way do achieve it ? Our main objective is to identify users across different browsers and devices. Also targeting them latter on using adobe target.

Thanks,

Parth