Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Only count page views after preceeding page?

Level 3

There are many ways for our customers to get to a quote page, but I'm only interested in Quote page views that were preceeded by the Pricing page. Any idea how to build this segment? 

Basically I just want page views for Page B only if they got there from Page A.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There are two ways I might consider handling this...

The first, using Segments.

I would create a Hit level segment with two containers inside it, one being a "hit" level, the other being a "visit" level.

HIT

HIT (container)

Page equals "Page B"

AND

VISIT (container)

Page equals "Page A"

THEN

Page equals "Page B"

This will limit the resulting data to just "Page B", where in the visit the user hit Page A followed by Page B

If Page A and Page B are directly in line with one another, you can strengthen the "THEN" clause by adding a "within 1 Page View", meaning that it will restrict the Page A to Page B more than just that order any time during the visit.

The second option is to use a Fallout Report

Drag in Page A to the first touchpoint

then drag in Page B to the second touchpoint

Fallout visualizations already restrict the order of the pages within the fallout... in order for Page B to show in this visualization, the user must first have visited Page A

You can change the setting from "Visitor" which will cross visits, to "Visit" so that Page A > Page B must be in the same Visit, and in the fallout, you can change the paths between "Eventual Path" which means Page A > some other pages > Page B, or to "Next Hit" which again should restrict the fallout to the user going directly from Page A to Page B

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Employee

Hi @czmudzin ,

I will try to answer assuming that you have two props - prop1 for storing current pagename and prop2 for previous pagename for any respective page load/ page view of a website.
Then:
1)Build a hit level segments with: prop1 equals B and prop2  equals A
2)Apply this segment on Current pagename report with page views as its metric
3)The number you see against pageB in this report is what you need

Hope this helps.

Community Advisor

Audrey Salerno shared some tips in a 2019 presentation. Her first tip, "Calculate how many ___ before a visitor's first ___?", might be applicable to you: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnxsr9s94k63rsk/RockstarTips2019_AudreySalerno.pdf

Source: https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-analytics-discussions/tips-from-adobe-analyti...

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There are two ways I might consider handling this...

The first, using Segments.

I would create a Hit level segment with two containers inside it, one being a "hit" level, the other being a "visit" level.

HIT

HIT (container)

Page equals "Page B"

AND

VISIT (container)

Page equals "Page A"

THEN

Page equals "Page B"

This will limit the resulting data to just "Page B", where in the visit the user hit Page A followed by Page B

If Page A and Page B are directly in line with one another, you can strengthen the "THEN" clause by adding a "within 1 Page View", meaning that it will restrict the Page A to Page B more than just that order any time during the visit.

The second option is to use a Fallout Report

Drag in Page A to the first touchpoint

then drag in Page B to the second touchpoint

Fallout visualizations already restrict the order of the pages within the fallout... in order for Page B to show in this visualization, the user must first have visited Page A

You can change the setting from "Visitor" which will cross visits, to "Visit" so that Page A > Page B must be in the same Visit, and in the fallout, you can change the paths between "Eventual Path" which means Page A > some other pages > Page B, or to "Next Hit" which again should restrict the fallout to the user going directly from Page A to Page B