Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

New Visitor segment for a specific page or pages

Level 2

Hello all,

I am trying to create a segment/metric that can capture "new visitors" of a specific page. I know there is a 'New Visitors' segment/metric provided by Adobe that is based off Visit Number, but that is not exactly what I'm looking for. Visit Number is based on ALL of a user's visits to a website.

For example... if someone were to visit xyz.com and came back on a second visit to xyz.com/products, they would not count as a New Visitor to xyz.com/products under Adobe's definition.

I understand this might require a large lookback window. If that is necessary, I could settle for segment that would cut the lookback window to a year, so the segment/metric would capture visitors who visited xyz.com/products within the last year.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

What about using a segment something like this:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1678430003557.png

Basically, I am looking for Hits on the Product Page, but I am also excluding visitors who have been to Products page then went to the Products page again (and since I didn't specify a specific then this should be relative to all time).

If you want to look specifically for 1 year, then you can add another clause using "AND" and a custom date range of "Last 365 Days"

This example uses "Last 30 Days" as it was already available:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1678430251704.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

What about using a segment something like this:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1678430003557.png

Basically, I am looking for Hits on the Product Page, but I am also excluding visitors who have been to Products page then went to the Products page again (and since I didn't specify a specific then this should be relative to all time).

If you want to look specifically for 1 year, then you can add another clause using "AND" and a custom date range of "Last 365 Days"

This example uses "Last 30 Days" as it was already available:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1678430251704.png

Level 2

Hi Jennifer,

Thought about this a bit more. Would this segment exclude a visitor that came to the page multiple times within the 1 year period?

Example:

- User has never visited xyz.com/products page before

- User visits xyz.com/products 4 months ago for the first time

- User visits xyz.com/products 2 months ago for the second time

I would want to count this user as they were a 'new visitor' in this time period. Does them visiting a second time remove them from the segment?

Thanks,

Alex

Community Advisor

It should exclude hits where the user has hit the page 2, 3, 4, etc times... 

The segment is hit level... so the first time hit... the user will only have 1 instance of the page (and therefore not trigger the exclusion).

The second time in that time frame, they should have products then products... so be excluded...

The third time, the same thing... whether it triggers against the first to second, or the second to third the exclusion rules should still trigger....

However, like anything... test out the logic... try this segment in dev and use a small date range... then use something like incognito to run a few tests... 

Open incognito hit products once (if you are tracking the ECID in your implementation - write down the value so you can verify in your data). Close the browser.

Open a incognito again (make sure it's a completely fresh open.. you don't want the cookies and ECID to be reused). Hit products, hit a few pages.. hit products again. (again, record your ECID).

You can try a few scenarios, keep track of the tests... or run them in separate hours... maybe use 2 or 3 days as your time frame... run a test where you open Incognito, hit products, then go to another page... don't close the browser.. leave it overnight.. then the next day, hit products again (this should keep your user id cookies intact and be the same user over multiple days, but it should still be a new Visit since inactivity will time a visit out after 30 mins).