Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

New and Retained Visitors in Adobe Analytics

Former Community Member

Hello!
I want to select the part of total number of Unique Visitors for the Last Month that previously (within 2 years) has already visited my site.

I have created a segment A of visitors who have been visiting my site for the last 2 years.
I created a segment B of visitors who have visited my site in the last 2 years but have not visited in the last month.
Then I created segment C (New Unique Visitors), which included segment A and excluded segment B.
I built a table:
Column 1 - Unique Visitors (no filter);
Column 2 - Unique Visitors (filter - segment C);
After that, I subtracted Column 2 from Column 1 and got Column 3 - Unique Visitors for the Last Month who have previously (within 2 years) already visited my site.

My questions:
1) Tell me, please, is everything correct?
2) Is there an easier way to do this?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Based on your description, it seems that you're on the right track to find the number of Unique Visitors for the Last Month who have previously visited your site within 2 years.

To answer your questions:

Your approach is mostly correct. However, there is a minor issue with your segments. Segment A should be the visitors who visited your site in the last month, not the last 2 years. Segment B should be the visitors who visited your site within the last 2 years and excluding the last month. Segment C should be the result of including Segment A and excluding Segment B.

While your current approach is not wrong, there is a more straightforward way to achieve the same result using a single segment.

Here's an alternative approach:

Create a segment, let's call it "Returning Visitors Last Month," with the following conditions:
a. Date Range: Last Month
b. Then, within the segment builder, add a container with a "Visitor" scope.
c. Inside the "Visitor" container, add two conditions:
i. Condition 1: Select "Visit Number" and set the condition to "Greater than or equal to 2."
ii. Condition 2: Apply a date range for this condition: "Last 2 years" (excluding the last month).

Now, apply this segment to your table:
a. Column 1 - Unique Visitors (no filter)
b. Column 2 - Unique Visitors (filter - "Returning Visitors Last Month")

This approach directly provides the number of Unique Visitors for the Last Month who have previously visited your site within 2 years, without having to create multiple segments or subtracting values in the table.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or need additional clarification.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Based on your description, it seems that you're on the right track to find the number of Unique Visitors for the Last Month who have previously visited your site within 2 years.

To answer your questions:

Your approach is mostly correct. However, there is a minor issue with your segments. Segment A should be the visitors who visited your site in the last month, not the last 2 years. Segment B should be the visitors who visited your site within the last 2 years and excluding the last month. Segment C should be the result of including Segment A and excluding Segment B.

While your current approach is not wrong, there is a more straightforward way to achieve the same result using a single segment.

Here's an alternative approach:

Create a segment, let's call it "Returning Visitors Last Month," with the following conditions:
a. Date Range: Last Month
b. Then, within the segment builder, add a container with a "Visitor" scope.
c. Inside the "Visitor" container, add two conditions:
i. Condition 1: Select "Visit Number" and set the condition to "Greater than or equal to 2."
ii. Condition 2: Apply a date range for this condition: "Last 2 years" (excluding the last month).

Now, apply this segment to your table:
a. Column 1 - Unique Visitors (no filter)
b. Column 2 - Unique Visitors (filter - "Returning Visitors Last Month")

This approach directly provides the number of Unique Visitors for the Last Month who have previously visited your site within 2 years, without having to create multiple segments or subtracting values in the table.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or need additional clarification.