Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Multiple entry pages in same visit

Level 5
  • I have a hit based segment based on an eVar that creates an audience based on a specific tracking code
  • I've overlaid the entry page to see which of the 5 different pages associated with the tracking code they're hitting
  • I'm using the visits metric and looking at the last month

I'm also seeing a number of entry pages for this segment that shouldn't fulfil the criteria i.e. they would not have hit that entry page with the tracking code used for the segment.

Also, all the unexpected entry pages aren't subsequent hits after midnight in the same session.

Can someone help me interpret what this means?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Oops, I should have said to use the Tracking Code Instances. Or in your case, the eVar Instances.

Here's what I'm thinking: there are some of your users who were already visiting your website, then followed a link that has a tracking code to enter another part of your website, but still within the duration of a visit. Something like this:

12:00pm: Open page A.

12:03pm: Open page B.

12:20pm: Open page C + tracking code.

12:22pm: Open page D.

Entry Page would be page A. And all 4 pages were opened in the same visit. So if you use the Visits metric, then the tracking code (from page C) would get reported too, but with Entry Page A.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Instead of the Visits metric, try the Marketing Channel Instances metric instead.

AA doesn't create a new visit when a new tracking code is detected.

Level 5

Marketing channel instances still shows up some entry pages that wouldn't have the tracking code. Also, I'm not using the tracking code dimension. I'm duplicating the value of the tracking code to an eVar with a different expiration and then using that for my segment.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Oops, I should have said to use the Tracking Code Instances. Or in your case, the eVar Instances.

Here's what I'm thinking: there are some of your users who were already visiting your website, then followed a link that has a tracking code to enter another part of your website, but still within the duration of a visit. Something like this:

12:00pm: Open page A.

12:03pm: Open page B.

12:20pm: Open page C + tracking code.

12:22pm: Open page D.

Entry Page would be page A. And all 4 pages were opened in the same visit. So if you use the Visits metric, then the tracking code (from page C) would get reported too, but with Entry Page A.

Level 5

Aha! That makes sense. I've reviewed the data with our session replay tool, and that appear to be the behaviour in most instances. Thank you for your help.

Community Advisor

You're welcome! Glad that I could help.