Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Multiple Black colours when using Colour Palette in Text visualisations causing readability issues in Dark Mode

Level 2

Hi, 

We often use Colour coding in text visualisations to highlight key dimensions, metrics, segments to our users when they are using workspaces. However, I have noticed there there are several different black shades in the colour palette: 

Thomas_Ashley_0-1683024020508.png

The option chosen can create issues with legibility if users are viewing the workspace via dark mode in their browser: 

Thomas_Ashley_1-1683024329738.png

has anyone else experienced this issue? Can anyone provide any advice on best practice please? 

Thanks, 

Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I don't really use Dark Mode... but the "default" font colour will be white in Dark Mode and black in Light Mode by default.. if you look at the pallets in the different modes, the colours do in fact change...   that dark blue colour is as a result of someone choosing a lighter colour in Light Mode (that was likely quite visible) and in dark mode it became a dark variant that is less readable.

Light Mode Pallet:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1683046693163.png

Dark Mode Pallet:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1683046707214.png

That said, you can't actually see the result of a colour choice without constantly changing your mode... which isn't ideal....

Maybe instruct your users to stick to colours that you know work in both modes. Or to preview their reports in both modes if they are using coloured text.

In the meantime, I have logged an idea to both improve the colour contrast for the options, so that the variations maintain the same level of readability. But also to show the variations, and preview the colours without needing to always check both modes manually.

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-analytics-ideas/make-the-workspace-text-colou...

Add your comments if you have anything else that you think would make this better, and give it a like to hopefully get this on the radar for a future change.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I don't really use Dark Mode... but the "default" font colour will be white in Dark Mode and black in Light Mode by default.. if you look at the pallets in the different modes, the colours do in fact change...   that dark blue colour is as a result of someone choosing a lighter colour in Light Mode (that was likely quite visible) and in dark mode it became a dark variant that is less readable.

Light Mode Pallet:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1683046693163.png

Dark Mode Pallet:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1683046707214.png

That said, you can't actually see the result of a colour choice without constantly changing your mode... which isn't ideal....

Maybe instruct your users to stick to colours that you know work in both modes. Or to preview their reports in both modes if they are using coloured text.

In the meantime, I have logged an idea to both improve the colour contrast for the options, so that the variations maintain the same level of readability. But also to show the variations, and preview the colours without needing to always check both modes manually.

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-analytics-ideas/make-the-workspace-text-colou...

Add your comments if you have anything else that you think would make this better, and give it a like to hopefully get this on the radar for a future change.

Community Advisor

@Thomas_Ashley / @Jennifer_Dungan - Yes, this is something I also learned the hard way.  The very first "black" is the "default" black in the pallet.  What I honestly wish they would do is also allow the pallet to update if you create a "custom" preference.  The whole point of updating the colors in the preferences is to have your own colors, so why shouldn't the pallet also align as well?
I've always considered that bad design.  

Jeff Bloomer