Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.

Migrating Clickstream Data Between Report Suites

Level 4

Hello,

My company has been acquired by another company which also uses Adobe Analytics and we've been told to migrate all of our Adobe solutions to their ORG ID.  As it relates to Adobe Analytics, it is critical for us to keep our historical data when migrating over to the new company's report suite.  My question is, is the below process accurate for getting all of the data from our current report suite (hit level, timestamped data) into a different report suite?

1. Create a new report suite under target ORG ID that matches the source
  2. Use Data Feeds to export the last 25 months (default storage limit in AA)
  3. Massage the data from Data Feeds to be the format Data Insertion API needs
  4. Use the Analytics Data Insertion API to upload the last 2 years worth of data into the new ORG ID/Report Suite

Is this accurate?  Just to be clear, it is important that all of the data is ported over to the new report suite just as if the data was collected client-side with appMeasurement.js.  Summary only data is not enough.

If this isn't accurate, I'd love some ideas on how to properly make this work.  

Thanks

4 Replies

Community Advisor

I am not sure if this holds true when moving between organizations... but years ago our organization had multiple companies under it, as we became more consolidated, having our suites split up into companies didn't make a lot of sense... I worked with client care to just move the existing suites into the main company... 

I didn't have to create an new suites, or export and import data... they just changed some backend mapping to make the existing suites linked into the one company... perhaps that can be done between organizations and will make your work a lot simpler?

Its worth checking with client care to see what they can do before you do a lot of work that may be unnecessary.

Of course, you will still need to make some changes to your tagging (such as changing the organization id for your ECID settings, etc), but IF client care can migrate the suites, they may be able to support the best way to make these updates how to coordinate the changes.

Level 4

I was so hoping this was an option.  Let me check with Client Care.  If for some strange reason it isn't, the long way workable s I've laid it out?

Community Advisor

Agreed with @Jennifer_Dungan that checking with Client Care may be a better option for this case and they can engage with the engineering team to help, of course with cost.

However, if you really want to do it on your own, the new Bulk data insertion API should be better than the old Data Insertion API.

Community Advisor

Yes, as @leocwlau said, the Bulk Insertion API is probably better, but those basic steps should suffice.

But hopefully Client Care will have a better option for you.