Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Marketing Channel Processing Rules - Definition on Query String Parameter

Level 2

I'm having some campaigns being wrongly attributed to a specific marketing channel. For example: 'Paid Search Campaign' (like Google Adwords) coming as 'Direct Traffic'. When I add the UTM source, medium and campaign in the 'Direct Traffic' marketing channel I can see all the information regarding this specific campaign.

At 1st I thought it would be the bucketing order of the channels, but 'Paid Search Campaign' is the 1st in the rule and 'Direct Traffic' is the 20th. 

My 2nd assumption was something is wrong with the rules in 'Paid Search Campaign'. The current rule that I have is:

• If 'All' of the following are true: 
    • 'Query String Parameter' -  'utm_medium' - 'Equals'  - 'cpc'
    • 'Query String Parameter' -  'utm_campaign' - 'Starts With'  - 'paid-campaign'
  • Identify the channel as 'Paid Search Campaign'
  • Set the channel's value to 'Query String Parameter' - 'utm_campaign'

I was struggling to identify the issue because everything seems fine to me and wouldn't make much sense to a campaign that is correctly labeled to land in direct.

Finally when I was reading the Marketing Channel Processing Rules - Definitions in Adobe, I noticed that in 'Query String Parameter' Term there's this section "To add additional query string parameters, use ANY  as your operator, then add new query string parameters to the rule." Based on this sentence my 'Paid Search Campaign' rule is wrong. 

So what should I do in this situation?

Thank you 

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Doesn't seems you can add "AND" condition in single query string param condition rule, it works for independent multi query string param. I would use custom variable to track paid search and use that in rule or ask client care if they have any suggestions.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Doesn't seems you can add "AND" condition in single query string param condition rule, it works for independent multi query string param. I would use custom variable to track paid search and use that in rule or ask client care if they have any suggestions.