Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

line graph only showing one date from time period, not same full period as source table

Level 1

I have a freeform table with time down the column and several metrics across the top. I made a line graph visualization from this table. At first it looked fine and the graph spanned the full time period (last full 30 days, in this case). But then suddenly the line graph was only showing one day of the time period, i.e. just a column of dots for that one date.

Updating the time frame or even changing the type of visualization does not correct the problem. Once it starts showing only one unit it stays that way. I even created a new visualization from the same table. Again, it worked for a day and then switched to only showing one date.

What is going on and how can I correct this?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

It sounds like maybe you selected one of the rows/columns/cells in your freeform table.

The Visualizations actually will update to reflect selections (unless you lock them to a specific set of data).

For example, here is the initial set up of something like you described:

JDungan_0-1653082200274.png

And then you start seeing something like this:

JDungan_1-1653082235825.png

or this

JDungan_2-1653082267687.png

Or even this:

JDungan_3-1653082425338.png

Notice that in each of these instances, I have a row, column or cell selected that is changing what the line graph is showing:

• May 2 (blue highlight), meaning my line graph was now restricted to May 2 (this makes the timeline now hourly for that day)
  • In the second I clicked on the total PVs column (darker grey highlight) meaning that my line graph was just PVs for the entire time frame
  • The third, I actually clicked on the PVs for May 4th (blue highlight) so the data is now showing me PVs for just May 4th

You can fix this "simply" by de-selecting the cell you clicked on (click on it again). Or you can prevent this from happening by locking the line graph. For this scenario, I am going to multi-select all the columns of data (which will actually look just like the default behavior)

JDungan_4-1653082735283.png

Now, I will click on the blue dot next to the Line Graph Title to pull up a context menu:

JDungan_5-1653082864425.png

And I am going to check the "Lock Selection" option. This will lock the line graph to my current selection, and no matter if I deselect, or select something new, the line graph will now no longer change. You will also notice that the dot becomes a lock icon.

JDungan_7-1653083018700.png

You can see that I have May 1st Visits now selected, but my line graph hasn't changed to reflect the selection.

Note: You must have something selected before "Lock Selection" becomes an option, and you can change it to be "Selected Positions", or "Selected Items" depending on what you are trying to do. This works on most (if not all) graphing visualizations.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

It sounds like maybe you selected one of the rows/columns/cells in your freeform table.

The Visualizations actually will update to reflect selections (unless you lock them to a specific set of data).

For example, here is the initial set up of something like you described:

JDungan_0-1653082200274.png

And then you start seeing something like this:

JDungan_1-1653082235825.png

or this

JDungan_2-1653082267687.png

Or even this:

JDungan_3-1653082425338.png

Notice that in each of these instances, I have a row, column or cell selected that is changing what the line graph is showing:

• May 2 (blue highlight), meaning my line graph was now restricted to May 2 (this makes the timeline now hourly for that day)
  • In the second I clicked on the total PVs column (darker grey highlight) meaning that my line graph was just PVs for the entire time frame
  • The third, I actually clicked on the PVs for May 4th (blue highlight) so the data is now showing me PVs for just May 4th

You can fix this "simply" by de-selecting the cell you clicked on (click on it again). Or you can prevent this from happening by locking the line graph. For this scenario, I am going to multi-select all the columns of data (which will actually look just like the default behavior)

JDungan_4-1653082735283.png

Now, I will click on the blue dot next to the Line Graph Title to pull up a context menu:

JDungan_5-1653082864425.png

And I am going to check the "Lock Selection" option. This will lock the line graph to my current selection, and no matter if I deselect, or select something new, the line graph will now no longer change. You will also notice that the dot becomes a lock icon.

JDungan_7-1653083018700.png

You can see that I have May 1st Visits now selected, but my line graph hasn't changed to reflect the selection.

Note: You must have something selected before "Lock Selection" becomes an option, and you can change it to be "Selected Positions", or "Selected Items" depending on what you are trying to do. This works on most (if not all) graphing visualizations.

Level 1

Thank you, JDungan! I thought it must be something simple. I had been making sure everything was unselected, but didn't know about clicking on the dot next to title. It turns out my graph was indeed locked, though I don't recall ever locking it that way. But unchecking "Lock Selection" resolved the issue.