Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Issues setting DTM Data Element by either returning value or setting data element directly

Level 2

I have some listening code that is being served as a custom script for the data element that could make multiple updates per page view which is capturing the value of a HTML5 Custom Attribute. The issue is I can't get listening code to return the value for data element to be set. Not sure what I'm doing wrong and have tried numerous approaches. When ever I check the value of the data element I get the default value that was set in the UI. Any idea how I make the data element update every time a qualifying element is clicked?

function addEvent(el, ev, fn, uc) { if (el.addEventListener) { el.addEventListener(ev, fn, uc); } else if (el.attachEvent) { // IE8- el.attachEvent('on'+ev, fn); } } addEvent(document, 'click', function(e) { e = e || window.event; var target = e.target || e.srcElement; var customLinkName = target.getAttribute("data-analytics-tracking-name"); if(customLinkName){ //return or set customLinkName from attribute; //_satellite.setVar("custom link name", customLinkName); } }, false);
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

I just found out from a friend that to make this work, whatever data element name I use in the _satellite.setVar function, ensure that it does not exist as a pre-defined data element. It will not allow you to overwrite the definition with the _satellite.setVar function. So I can just add a custom condition to the event rule to dynamically get the value from this attribute that was listening for the attribute click.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 2

I just found out from a friend that to make this work, whatever data element name I use in the _satellite.setVar function, ensure that it does not exist as a pre-defined data element. It will not allow you to overwrite the definition with the _satellite.setVar function. So I can just add a custom condition to the event rule to dynamically get the value from this attribute that was listening for the attribute click.