Expand my Community achievements bar.

Is it possible to serialise Events set to Currency?

Level 1

We are looking to capture quote values within an Insurance journey so we're going to put these values in Events (set to Currency) in s.products. We could capture these once per visit to avoid duplication but some users get multiple quotes per visit so we'd ideally like to serialise them with Quote Ref ID. However, I can't see anywhere within the documentation that says this can or can't be done.

So I guess there are 2 questions here:

1. Can you serialise currency Events?

2. If you can, when using them within s.products, do they need to be serialised within the s.products string itself or with the Event that needs to be fired at the same time?

Thanks!

2 Replies

Community Advisor

While I've never tired it, I don't see why you couldn't.. the Type and Unique Event Recording settings are separate configurations. That said, I can't find any examples of people combining these....

I know that with numeric events in s.products, you need to add the passed value into the s.products notation...

s.events="event1";
s.products = "category;product1;;;event1=2,category;product2;;;event1=1";

I would suspect IF you were trying to serialize an event, you would also put it into s.products (in case you needed to pass multiple serialized events in the same call.... but I don't know if the serialization would come before the currency or after.

• event1:xyz=2.01  (I suspect this would be the correct notation, as I believe everything beyond the = is taken as a value)
  • event1=2.01:xyz  (this seems like the :xyz would be treated like part of the value, and since :xyz isn't a valid currency value, I suspect that this would fail to track)

I am guessing this would be the notation:

s.events="event1";
s.products = "category;product1;;;event1:xyz=2.01,category;product2;;;event1:wqm=1.99";

But does this need to be part of s.products..... when added to s.products as a merchandising event, this is really to keep the event per product separated... but if you are talking about quotes with a quote id... if it's just passed in s.events (it will correlate to all the products without being specifically stitched to each product), for example:

s.events="event1,event2";
s.products = "category;product1;;;event1=2,category;product2;;;event1=1";

event2 correlates to BOTH product1 and product2, and right now, in a table, this would appear as:

event1 event2
  3 1
product1 2 1
product2 1 1

But since I don't have practical experience on this, my suggested would be to do a controlled test on a QA suite. Make some sample calls, passing serialized currency values.... know exactly all the calls you make, then in an hour check the data and ensure its doing exactly what you expect.

How likely is your implementation to "re-track the same quote"... is adding serialization really needed, or is it added complexity for a small gain? If these tests fail, would just using currency be enough? 

You should definitely do a practical test of the data to be sure the outcome is expected, and review your needs, as you might be making it more complex than required.

Level 1

Thanks for your detailed response.

In answer to your question (How likely is your implementation to "re-track the same quote".), it's actually quite likely. We get a lot of users who will see a quote and then go back and make some changes and then land on the Premium page with a new quote but with the same Quote Ref ID. If these weren't serialised, we would keep capturing more values for the same Quote Ref ID.