Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Implications of accepting Paypal

Level 1
We are about to start accepting Paypal as a payment method on our website.

If a customer chooses to pay via Paypal, they will be sent away from our purchase funnel, to the Paypal website to make payment, then sent back to our order confirmation page on our site. Like so:

Payment options page (our website)
Paypal payment page (Paypal website)
Order confirmation page (our website)

What implications does this have for our conversion funnel? 
Will visitors who pay via Paypal be counted as one visitor, or two?
Will visitors who pay via Paypal retain their 'first touch' campaign channel?
Will visitors who pay via Paypal retain their Adobe Adlens EF_ID?

Many thanks

Pete
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Peter,

1.I will suggest you to put paypal in your Internal URL filter. If you do not do that, paypal will be considered as referrer to your site.

You will have to update s.linkInternalFilters with paypal domain so it is not considered as an exit link.

2.What implications does this have for our conversion funnel? 

a.I will put an image request on the button that redirect to paypal where I will put as pagename payment.

If you followed #1 there should not be any additional image request between the click on button to paypal and thanks you page so in theory your funnel or fallout report should not be affected as the page for payment will be send on click of button to redirect to paypal and next image request will be the thank you page.

Normally it should be counted as the same visitor. If the payment process do not take more than 30 minutes then it will be the same visit as well.

Yes they should retain of persisting values in conversion variables (campaign and eVars) if the visitor id is not changed, normally it should not be see above.

If we are speaking about marketing Channel report just make sure that no rule changes the values of last touch when referrer is paypal

Regarding AdLens I have no experience with the product.

I hope this answer helps you and let me know if you have any question.

Best regards.

Alexis Cazes

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 2

Nice question.

Was just thinking about this the other day as we have Poli and Paypal.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Peter,

1.I will suggest you to put paypal in your Internal URL filter. If you do not do that, paypal will be considered as referrer to your site.

You will have to update s.linkInternalFilters with paypal domain so it is not considered as an exit link.

2.What implications does this have for our conversion funnel? 

a.I will put an image request on the button that redirect to paypal where I will put as pagename payment.

If you followed #1 there should not be any additional image request between the click on button to paypal and thanks you page so in theory your funnel or fallout report should not be affected as the page for payment will be send on click of button to redirect to paypal and next image request will be the thank you page.

Normally it should be counted as the same visitor. If the payment process do not take more than 30 minutes then it will be the same visit as well.

Yes they should retain of persisting values in conversion variables (campaign and eVars) if the visitor id is not changed, normally it should not be see above.

If we are speaking about marketing Channel report just make sure that no rule changes the values of last touch when referrer is paypal

Regarding AdLens I have no experience with the product.

I hope this answer helps you and let me know if you have any question.

Best regards.

Alexis Cazes

Level 1

Thanks very much for the advice, Alexis!