Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

IAB consent setup with Adobe Launch + Visitor Service + Analytics + AEM Core Components

Level 8

Hey guys,

I am facing a challenge where the client has employed Didomi as cookie consent solution that uses the IAB framework.

My current setup is involving 

• Didomi cookie consent banner with IAB
  • Launch with rules for core components Analytics page view and click tracking
  • Visitor ID Service, configuration is
    • bk_work_0-1700666738845.png

My problems/questions are now:

• even without additional consent checks, the analytics requests are not firing neither directly after giving consent nor on reload
  • the Didomi documentation says to add direct call triggers to the page view rule in combination with a condition, checking for their specific custom consents
    • (don't get me started about the generated AEM core component tracking approach Adobe has chosen, so I will omit my rant here)
    • so, with the direct call and consent condition now met, the Adobe Analytics call is not sent (a debug statement in the code is executed though)
    • in other words, the consent handling through the Visitor ID service is not releasing the call
  • is there anything I am missing? With the non-IAB approach, I was forced to update the Visitor ID service's optIn handling through adobe.optIn.approve or .deny but Adobe's documentation does not seem to show this anywhere

Looking at the demdex call's response after page reload, it actually says "no consents given" and documentation says "When no consent is provided, the Audience Manager Plug-in for IAB TCF opts the user out of further data collection, or drops the call completely if there is no partner context detected."

How can the Didomi IAB consent not be readable? Is it possible that some vendor mapping is wrong?

bk_work_0-1700667807372.png

Appreciate and hints to an actual documentation (best case scenario with a Didomi consent banner case)

Cheers

Bjoern

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

So, Adobe Analytics does not have a vendor ID in the IAB world, AAM has.

We ended up with a custom integration, manually adding entries in Didomi for the Adobe products (AA and Target)

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

I've not used Didomi (and really we haven't implemented consent yet), but I have played around a bit with this in a demo property.

I see that you say you have "Opt In Storage Enabled", but I don't see where you are telling Adobe where to find that?

Here is a sample I was playing with, I don't have storage in my example, and I started with the "Opt Out" approach:, but then I set my "default" permissions to false manually in the "Previous Permissions"

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1700685415084.png

So Technically, in this example, users were opted out (i.e. false). If I were doing this for real, I would use Data Elements to populate the previous permissions based on Data Elements pulling values from the site...  And IF I had storage enabled, I would expect that I would need to set those up as well, mind you, I think this is Adobe Storage, if you are reading from a vendor storage, you probably don't need that, you would just have to read and set the "Previous Permissions" from Data Elements pulling the values from what is managing consent.....

This prevented my ECID from being set, but tracking still occurred until I added conditions to my tracking rules:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1700685590060.png

You said you aren't getting any tracking at all? Did you maybe introduce a JS error that is causing the tracking to break before the beacon is fired? because the settings in the Experience Cloud ID Service should only really impact whether or not the ECID is being set.... 

Level 8

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan 

[UPDATE] I am making progress by explicitly using the adobe.optIn API which is releasing the Analytics call by checking for specific parts in the IAB string.

However, my assumption - and maybe this has been completely wrong - was that this should all not be required anymore by the Visitor ID service implicitly understanding the set IAB consent purposes and automatically applying them to the individual Adobe products, similar to how Google consent mode and GTM do?

bk_work_0-1700728596394.png

bk_work_1-1700728656613.png

See Google docs here.

So, I wonder what has to be done to automatically make this work with the Visitor ID service?

Cheers

Björn

---------------------

[previous feedback]

thanks for your response! Pre-approval for Adobe solutions is unfortunately not legal inside of the EU and Switzerland. Also, in your example you neither have "enable consent" nor "enable IAB" set which is essentially the issue I am having. I have set up the visitor ID service for many clients when it was simply just reading consent categories from a consent cookie, but applyig this IAB stuff is completely new to me. So I would assume I am missing something here.

What surprises me is that there is no Adobe documentation on this respectively, all I found is a video clip where it's being said that you enable consent, you enable IAB, optionally enable storage in a cookie (without setting anything else) and there you go. 

What the "IAB" feature seems to come with is an API that can be used to read out the permissions from the consent string. Yet again, not a word on how that can or should be used.

window.__tcfapi("addEventListener", 2, function (tcData, success) {
  console.log(tcData);
});

Since IAB seems to come with vendor permissions, I am wondering why not all Adobe products are listed there?

Is there maybe no IAB support at all for Analytics, Target, Visitor service? See list here.

bk_work_0-1700720907909.png

Cheers

Björn

Community Advisor

Hi,

FYI, I wasn't suggesting that you switch to pre-approval... just merely pointing out the differences in the sample I was playing with. However, even without that setting, due to my "previous permissions" the user was defaulting to false regardless. (Basically I was just walking through my settings from my last test).

I don't have any "permission control" integrations on my demo site, so it's understandably much more simple...

The point I was making, that even with all my settings, these only prevented the ECID, but I still had to add conditions onto my tracking rule to stop tracking.. since you had mentioned "even without additional consent checks, the analytics requests are not firing neither directly after giving consent nor on reload" - that seems very strange, and not at all the behaviour I would expect...

Adobe Analytics is likely considered part of "Adobe Experience Platform"?? (But that is a guess).

Let me reach out to an Adobe contact about seeing if there is any additional documentation.

I'm glad to hear you are starting to make some progress...

Community Advisor

I should note that my Adobe contacts will be enjoying Thanksgiving, so I don't expect a response until next week...

Level 8

Thanks @Jennifer_Dungan ,

enjoy your thanksgiving and let's continue after the holidays

I have also opened a support ticket. Let's see if we get any further on this matter.

Cheers from Switzerland

Correct answer by
Level 8

So, Adobe Analytics does not have a vendor ID in the IAB world, AAM has.

We ended up with a custom integration, manually adding entries in Didomi for the Adobe products (AA and Target)