Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

How to use different DTM web properties in same site/domain?

Level 2

I have two requirements, one property in DTM to collect data and send to report suite A for domain A and another property which collects data and send to report suite B for domain B. I want to create another property which would collect data from both domain A and B and send it to a global report suite G. There are only few features that are similar between domain A and B, hence I only want to send data that is common between both the domains into the global report suite.

Drawback is I cannot have two DTM properties on the same site, (i.e.) I cannot have DTM property 1(domain A) & DTM property 2(Global report suite). I cannot use the global rsid in DTM property 1 of domain A because I do not want to capture all the data, but want only certain features.

Can you please suggest any alternative to approach this?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

you do not need to change the website if you already capture all the needed data. as far as I understand the blog by jexnerW4D​ you just change the way you send data to your data center.

giving you an example: instead of setting "eVar1=US" you would add the context data to the server call, something like s.contextData["user.country"]="US". having this as metaData you can add a processing rule to let "eVar1=user.country" on the desired RS.

maybe the biggest change is how you setup your rules in DTM. instead of mapping the the data (eg. dataElements) to the desired variables directly within the rules, you need to add the data to your call. haven't tested it but this might be done within the rule (custom code) or within the adobe analytics tool (custom code, using doPlugins).

carefully read the blog post and try to understand the difference. I suggest you make a test with just some example data and see how mich effort you need to change the system.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

My primary goal would be to streamline the DTM and the Report Suites as much as possible - you might regret it in the long term because you have many drawbacks...

However, if changes in the Report Suites are no option, think about using "context data". the idea is that you don't send the values bound to props/evars/events but rather send it as meta-data (context data). basically you send the same data to all desired report suites with DTM.

next you add processing rules for each report suite to set the desired props/eVars/events individually.

you can read a great blog post from jexnerW4D​ here: https://webanalyticsfordevelopers.com/2014/01/07/2-good-reasons-to-use-context-data/

Level 2

Thank you for the information and help.

Would implementing dynamic report suite in DTM help with my situation mentioned above?

Using multi suite tagging in s.sa(rsid1,rsid2) based on certain condition or logic.

Lets say if I want to track data from both Domain A & B into G (global rsid) only on "blog" pages, so setting a logic to call the function

s.sa(domainrsidA,globalrsid) whenever the page_category="blog", would this work?

Community Advisor

yes, you could do that (don't forget to set back the reportsuiteid after tracking the page). this would send the exactly same data to both report suites. as long as both reportsuites are setup the same way, I can't see a problem.

however, I would not so that - sooner or later you have a request for additional pages to track to both reportsuites.

so take your time to decide what to do in the future:

a) streamline report suites (nobody will care about history in a few month)

b) change to context data

Level 2

Hi,

Thanks again for your help.

For a website: By capturing meta-data and sending it across different report suite and then under processing rules capturing specific data for different report suite needs, would this require a page level implementation change in how we capture data or require changes in DTM web property level?

Since we do not have access to the page level implementation on web page, we are dependent on the developers to make changes, if implementing context data is through DTM level, could you share documents that gives the steps to implementation or examples on how to implement it page level or in DTM?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Veena

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

you do not need to change the website if you already capture all the needed data. as far as I understand the blog by jexnerW4D​ you just change the way you send data to your data center.

giving you an example: instead of setting "eVar1=US" you would add the context data to the server call, something like s.contextData["user.country"]="US". having this as metaData you can add a processing rule to let "eVar1=user.country" on the desired RS.

maybe the biggest change is how you setup your rules in DTM. instead of mapping the the data (eg. dataElements) to the desired variables directly within the rules, you need to add the data to your call. haven't tested it but this might be done within the rule (custom code) or within the adobe analytics tool (custom code, using doPlugins).

carefully read the blog post and try to understand the difference. I suggest you make a test with just some example data and see how mich effort you need to change the system.

Level 2

Thanks again. I will try this approach .