Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to track operation latency using Adobe?

Level 1

As someone new to Adobe, using the code below, how can I set up Adobe to track this data? My thought process is to create an eVar to store operationName, and then a Custom Success Event to store responseTime as numeric. Lastly, using Data Elements and a Rule, set those Adobe variables I just created. Does this work so I can display averages, min/max, or graphs over this data? Will the Metric responseTime be tied to operationName Dimension?

Edit: Is this even possible on Adobe? Wrong tooling for tracking this?

const responseTime = (Date.now() - startTime) / 1000;
window._satellite.track('operation-name', {
  operationName,
  responseTime,
});

6 Replies

Community Advisor

The approach sounds right and it will be very easy to get and display the average by creating a calculated metric with metric mapped for responseTime / instance of evar mapped for operationName.

Getting and displaying the max and min will be challenging as Workspace UI aggregate metrics and the "row max" and "column maximum" functions do not help in this case, unless you have each individual instance of tracking listed in the freeform table as rows then using column max/min to get the result. However, this could be less useful for reporting as you can't trend that over time or break it down by other dimensions.

Level 1

Yes, I did figure out the average calculated metric. I tried playing around with min/max funcs and received totals like you said. Is it possible to count responseTimes over a 'max/min' threshold? I believe I read that somewhere

Level 1

You can create segments at hit level for the responseTime over the max or below the min threshold and apply those segments with the average time calculated metric, so you can understand what-if the responseTime out of range and the average value.

Community Advisor

oops... just realized I was logging in with a different account but that was from me.

Level 1

How can I generate a new row for each individual Operation event to be able to use Col/Row Max/Min functions (like when you said "individual instance of tracking listed in the freeform table as rows")? If Adobe collects each event into the Dimension Operation Name, would I need to append a unique id to ensure each Operation has its own row? Or is there a way with Custom Events to push each (Operation Name, Response Time) instead of using the eVar Dimension?

Community Advisor

Yes, there is a prerequisite that you have a hit ID captured as a dimension value, so you can use it to build a freeform table with each hit listed as a row. Adobe has its hit ID but is not exposed to Analytics Workspace frontend for us to use in dashboards, that is understandable to me as Analytics Workspace is created for aggregated dashboarding and reporting, not for some individual item reporting. If you are not limited to Analytics Workspace for getting the operation max/min, and open to use Data Feed, all information is available for the calculation, and no extra data collection is required.