Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to determine eVar usage within segments, calculated metrics, and Analysis Workspace projects?

Level 3
Level 3

Last week a customer deleted an eVar that caused quite a stir. A calculated metric was using the eVar, and a Report Builder job was using the calculated metric. Needless to say, the Report Builder report failed, and we had to find out why. We discovered that the eVar was deleted. Rather than rebuilding the evar, the team decided to modify the calculated metric to remove the eVar reference. Issue fixed.

But that raises a question. Is there a best practice to determine the reach of an eVar, prop, or event? For example, is there a known procedure to perform when decommissioning variables and events to prevent downstream reporting issues?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor
8 Replies

Employee Advisor

@I-5 - Currently, I don't think there is a report to determine the reach of any variables or metrics within Adobe Analytics. In my opinion, it would be a manual search and digging into various reports. Though, I agree it would be a good feature request for our product team.

Level 3
Level 3

ishans52004352, thank you for replying. Our customer has over 11k calculated metrics and over 82K segments. It would be virtually impossible to search them manually, and I was hoping Adobe had an automated process. Yes, a reasonable feature request for sure.

Community Advisor

There is no easy solution. We had the same ish exercise where we were planning to decommission several props or eVars as they were redundant. However we did not want to impact users that used these props and metrics so I we wrote script to use the API.

I used Postman to query all segments and calculated metrics, create a test for each entry to see if specific segment or calculated metric contained the dimensions then created another list to modify the definition and make another API call to modify the definition or the segment or calculated metric.

One thing I was not able to do it modify the Analytics Workspaces as there is no API that provide you the definition of Analysis Worksapce I believe.

I might still have the script somewhere if you into APIs 

Level 3
Level 3

Hi Alexis,

I wonder if I can use Swagger for this purpose. You give me hope indicating you used an API.

Yes, I would like to see the API you used. It would undoubtedly come in handy if I could get it to work.

Level 3
Level 3

Hi Alexis, 

Will you be able to find and send me the API you built to perform the analysis.

Mike

Correct answer by
Community Advisor