Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to add the same dimension multiple times in an Adobe Segment?

Level 2

I export reports from Adobe Data Warehouse and feed them to our BI dashboard. Before exporting, we exclude suspicious "Cart IDs" using a Segment.

Here's how I do it:  manually drag and drop "Cart ID" from the Dimensions lists one by one into the Segment. And then populate it with the Cart ID numbers we want to exclude. Attached is a "screenshot" of how it looks inside.  As you can see, it's a pretty time-consuming task. Sometimes, we have to exclude more than 50 cart IDs in a single day, so we have to drag and drop the "Cart ID" from the Dimensions list into the Segment one by one which can get quite overwhelming.

I would like to know if there's any way I can automate this or, any shortcut or feature that I am not aware of which will save us time and effort. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hmm I wonder if you could use something like the classification importer?

But, if you create a classification on your "Cart ID" dimension, such as a simple "exclude from reporting" classification (which will eventually hold a "true" value for all the Cart IDs you want to be excluded), you could use the classification importer to bulk upload those ids mapping "true" to the classification.

Then you could build your segment based on the "exclude from reporting" segment where the value is true (rather than a long list of IDs).

This won't come without challenges of course, Classifications only get processed every 4-6 hours, and I am not sure what the latency of new uploads is exactly (I use the Classification Rule Builder more often since I am not dealing with large data sets, I know it can be about 24 hours, but I feel that the importer should be less since it shouldn't force a "rebuild" of the rule)

It's worth a try anyway, if it doesn't work, its easy to get rid of.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hmm I wonder if you could use something like the classification importer?

But, if you create a classification on your "Cart ID" dimension, such as a simple "exclude from reporting" classification (which will eventually hold a "true" value for all the Cart IDs you want to be excluded), you could use the classification importer to bulk upload those ids mapping "true" to the classification.

Then you could build your segment based on the "exclude from reporting" segment where the value is true (rather than a long list of IDs).

This won't come without challenges of course, Classifications only get processed every 4-6 hours, and I am not sure what the latency of new uploads is exactly (I use the Classification Rule Builder more often since I am not dealing with large data sets, I know it can be about 24 hours, but I feel that the importer should be less since it shouldn't force a "rebuild" of the rule)

It's worth a try anyway, if it doesn't work, its easy to get rid of.

Level 2

Thank you, Jennifer. So what you're saying is that I will have to bulk upload the Cart IDs that I want to exclude into the  "classification importer" and then use the said "classification importer" into the  "exclude from reporting" Segment that we already created. This does seem like a viable solution for us. Also, we are updating the segments for reporting once every two days. So I think it should work for us. 

However, I was looking up Adobe's classifications importer documentation: 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/classifications/classifications-importe...

Per the documentation linked above, I believe, I need Admin level access to create a "classification importer"? Could you please confirm this? Is there a workaround for this? 

Community Advisor

Right, this is a different approach then trying to update your segments all the time, since there's no "bulk update" I know of for segments directly.

Even the "equals any of", which allows you to pass multiple values into a single field has it;s downsides (there is a limit to how much you can add to one field, so you would still need multiple; trying to edit them is a pain, cause you cannot see everything easily; and finally, the "equals any of" and "contains any of" have less compatibility and definitely have issues with Adobe Data Warehouse)

Now, as for access, you might need admin access, I see that there is a permission for "Classifications" that can be added to a user's account, but I am not sure if that includes both setting up the Classifications, and access to the Classification Rule Builder / Importer?

Do you get the Cart IDs as an automated list? There is an automatic import process via FTP (assuming the file is in the correct format), even if you don't get it automatically, if you can update a file and upload to FTP when you need new mappings, this should be doable, and your admin should be willing to work with you to set the process up.

Your admin can help get the template for you, set up the classifications and format the file, then test that uploaded files are processed properly.. from that point forward, all you will need to do is upload new files into an FTP folder..... 

Level 4

Hi @patronsaint31 

Here is a solution that might help.

• Create a Custom Segment Template: In the Adobe Analytics interface, create a new segment. Add the "Cart ID" dimension and populate it with one or a few example values that you commonly exclude. Save this segment as a template for reuse.
  • Use Text Editor: Export the segment JSON from the segment template. Open the JSON file in a text editor. Duplicate and modify the "Cart ID" values within the JSON structure. Save the JSON file.
  • Import the Modified Template: Import the modified JSON template back into Adobe Analytics. This could create a segment with multiple "Cart ID" values without manual dragging and dropping. Test the segment to ensure it's excluding the desired "Cart IDs" accurately.

Community Advisor

There's no such feature in Adobe Analytics....

There is no "save as template" or "import JSON template", ,maybe in CJA which I don't have, but there's no indication that the OP has CJA either.... 

But I also can't find any reference to such a feature in CJA either with a quick Google Search...