Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar: Adobe Customer Journey Analytics Product Innovations: A Quarterly Overview. Come learn for the Adobe Analytics Product team who will be covering AJO reporting, Graph-based Stitching, guided analysis for CJA, and more!

How do you track interactions with an accordion accurately

Level 1

I am doing a test with experiences A-E and want to monitor interaction with an accordion. 

I am using dd-data tracking in the class of the element: 

E.G dd-data-link

data-dd-link="clicked on accordion"

data-dd-loc="final details page"

data-dd-group="motor" 

This will show in the data layer for analytics as a P37 tag

I want to be able to filter out the multiple clicks from some customers so I can report on of all the customers who visited the page X% opened the accordion 

I don't want to dilute the number by having accordion closes count as an instance when its clicked & inflate the interactions to look higher than they are.

I also don't want a customer clicking to open and close this element 10 times look like 10 possible opens when 5 are closes. 

How would you suggest going about this? 

Many thanks in advance 

2 Replies

Level 5

Hi @port ,

AccordionOpen and Close generally have different classes appended to html element. In this case since you need to track only opens, there are two ways depending upon developer/datalayer support -

- Incase you've developer support, you can ask them to invole direct call rule only when accordion is opened/expamded. The DCR can be used in Adobe Launch to initiate trackEcent call with customMbox which can be used to create activity Goal > Under Engagement> Viewed an Mbox (with Adobe Target as reporting source)

Or if A4T is planned to use then custom event can keep track.

- If the developer support is not available, you would need to create customJS script in launch to check for open calls when someone interacts with accordion and only track om clicks which have open class apeended (so close is not tracked)

Community Advisor

So basically you just need to track the first interaction with the Accordion, and its initial state is "closed", so the first interaction should be an "open" action, right?

My first thoughts (without seeing the implementation), would be to listen for clicks on the accordion, but add a Max Frequency condition on the rule...

Return true no more than once every page view

OR

Return true no more than once every sessions

OR

Return true no more than once every visitor

Basically, whatever reporting frequency meets you needs.....

Although, technically, even if you tracked each click, you can still get the report: all the customers who visited the page X% opened the accordion

You can use a segment to get a de-duplicated "opened accordion":

Basically:

VISITOR

"opened accordion"

Pair this with UV, and you will get the count of UVs that opened the accordion, so you wouldn't get all the instance... but you would have them, say if you needed to pull a report such as "opens per user" or "closes per user" or "interactions per user".... but tracking every open and close would inflate server calls, so that is really up to you... but if you are really trying to see if your accordion is being used... then seeing all the interactions would be beneficial... 

In an "engagement" type AB test, if you only track the interaction once... then let's say you have a user who opened the accordion 100 times... vs a user in the variant who opened it only 2 times... if you only track once per user, these users are weighted the same "1 per"... but really, control performed 50 times better for driving engagement.... 

There are tests where a single goal makes sense (like purchasing a subscription)... but there are many more tests where you want to see if the feature is truly engaging audiences... so a single goal doesn't make sense...  

This is really up to you and your needs though, I'm just adding my 2 cents...