Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Analytics Champion Program are open!
SOLVED

Help with adobe launch push using Google chrome console and enabling via Adobe debugger the Env

Level 2

Hi,

We replicated the Adobe launch tags/elements/extensions and rules into a new test account as to maintain the tag when we build the new website. Developers have not placed the DL and dtm.js script on the dev site. The purpose of duplicating is that when we are implementing tags so it won't damage the current dev and prod site. Also, we agreed to use the old method instead of XDM.

We have enabled the configuration environment for Adobe debugger to push the Dev site so I could test some basic elements and rules. I have publish the build and develop codes into dev env.

As we am trying to use the Adobe debugger, AEP triggers but not AA tags. We are  trying to use Chrome Console to push some data layers and to trigger some rules. 

"var digitalData = {}; digitalData.event = digitalData.event || [];"

Am I doing this wrong ? Can you share the steps I need to do to test this on console especially for one rule and one element.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I think we might need a little clarity here... 

I am not sure what you mean by "Developers have not placed the DL and dtm.js script on the dev site."

So your dev site has nothing on it? How can you test anything if there is nothing there? Unless I am misunderstanding....

I will start by explaining our setup... we have a Dev/QA environment and a Prod Environment... the Dev/QA code has all the triggers, data layers, etc the same as prod (except if there are new projects in the works and new code is deployed there for development and testing).. but the JS file on the environment always points to the Launch Dev Environment code... so when I make changes in Launch and deploy to Dev, my new changes are only in that environment and all the tagging goes to the configured Dev Suite.

Prod is configured to the Production environment, and the Prod Suite. 

When new projects are going live, if it's all Launch work, I can deploy any time (with approval as per our flows), if it needs coordination with Developer Code, we deploy in parallel during scheduled deployment windows.

So when I am in Dev, I have access to all the base Data Layers and Coding that Prod has... I don't need a new Launch Property, because I can control what is and isn't deployed to production... and trying to copy code between properties and make sure that everything is there and the same is a recipe for disaster....  Unless this is part of a Website Migration from old code to new? Then starting with a new Launch Property makes sense.. but you would still need the new website to have Data Layers, Triggers, Code, etc added for you to efficiently test....

With all the base code there, if you want to "test" something with the Data Layer triggers before getting your Devs to add it, you shouldn't have to initialize the Data Layer (it will already be there), you just need to push new triggers and code to the existing data layer... 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I think we might need a little clarity here... 

I am not sure what you mean by "Developers have not placed the DL and dtm.js script on the dev site."

So your dev site has nothing on it? How can you test anything if there is nothing there? Unless I am misunderstanding....

I will start by explaining our setup... we have a Dev/QA environment and a Prod Environment... the Dev/QA code has all the triggers, data layers, etc the same as prod (except if there are new projects in the works and new code is deployed there for development and testing).. but the JS file on the environment always points to the Launch Dev Environment code... so when I make changes in Launch and deploy to Dev, my new changes are only in that environment and all the tagging goes to the configured Dev Suite.

Prod is configured to the Production environment, and the Prod Suite. 

When new projects are going live, if it's all Launch work, I can deploy any time (with approval as per our flows), if it needs coordination with Developer Code, we deploy in parallel during scheduled deployment windows.

So when I am in Dev, I have access to all the base Data Layers and Coding that Prod has... I don't need a new Launch Property, because I can control what is and isn't deployed to production... and trying to copy code between properties and make sure that everything is there and the same is a recipe for disaster....  Unless this is part of a Website Migration from old code to new? Then starting with a new Launch Property makes sense.. but you would still need the new website to have Data Layers, Triggers, Code, etc added for you to efficiently test....

With all the base code there, if you want to "test" something with the Data Layer triggers before getting your Devs to add it, you shouldn't have to initialize the Data Layer (it will already be there), you just need to push new triggers and code to the existing data layer... 

Level 2

Hi Jennifer,

The website development is using AEM and there is a base code (I guess it's default code) in the source for example: 

window.adobeDataLayer = window.adobeDataLayer || [];

adobeDataLayer.push({

page: "ABC",

event:  'show',

eventInfo: {

path: 'abc title'

}

});

Due to development works, we was advised to test the data layers, data elements and rules using the Chrome console by pushing the dev staging on Adobe debugger. 

We have added Adobe Analytics extension on the AL and configured a test data element and rule for a click tag.

Next, we enable the dev environment on Adobe debugger, and load the page, AEP triggers. We then add the data layer push into the Chrome console to trigger the data layer and test the rule if this is firing. Weird thing is the other extensions fires but not Adobe analytics.

Thanks.

Community Advisor

Hmm ok, I see.

So there is code there, and you are overwriting the prod Adobe Launch with the Dev Adobe Launch file.

I don't use the debugger for that, but its a similar process to sometimes testing Dev code using the Prod Site (rather than the Dev site, as some features / configs are only set up on prod - like our Marketing Elements)

Can you turn on satellite debug in your network panel?

// Turn On debugging
_satellite.setDebug(true);

// Turn Off debugging
_satellite.setDebug(false);

Now maybe that's what Console Logging is supposed to do, but it's not working for me right now (again, I usually do that sort of thing via other methods than the Adobe Extension - so it might be my computer, might be the extension being buggy, or maybe the console logging is something else, but I didn't see any difference).

Manually turning on debugging always works for me... this should show you what rules are being run and when... It's possible that the trigger isn't set up properly, or maybe there is an error happening on the rule preventing it from firing.... Debugging might help you sort that out.

Are you seeing any JS errors when you are triggering your event that might be connected to the rule you are testing?

Maybe the rule you are testing is using a trigger which isn't technically being recognized... 

This is where I would start if I was you... unfortunately, I can't see your site or setup to point out more specific checks....

Just my 2 cents on the Launch Property config... having you manually set to Dev environment is okay.. but everyone else loading the site (developers, testers, project managers, business uat, etc) are all getting the prod config and sending data to your production suite... this is something I made sure our system did not do... all localhost, qa, dev, staging, etc servers point to Dev or Staging launch environments which are configured to a dev tracking  suite... to ensure that no testing data ever corrupts our prod data... 

Level 2

HI Jennifer,

It was resolved after the Developers placed the js and data layer code on the site.

Thanks again.

Community Advisor

Yay! I'm glad things are working for you now