Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Analytics Champion Program are open!

Google Chrome phasing out cookies by Q2024

Level 1

Hi everyone,

We're currently conducting a project to assess the impact of Google Chrome blocking third-party cookies on our analytics capabilities.

While we anticipate a minimal impact on basic tracking within individual domains, a specific challenge we face is cross-domain tracking.

Both the Visitor ID service's demdex.net cookie and the legacy Analytics ID service's s_vi cookie rely on third-party contexts to provide persistent identifiers for users across different customer domains. When blocked, these cookies make cross-domain tracking impossible.

Could someone share their insights on the specific implications of losing cross-domain tracking? In what scenarios is this feature particularly valuable for analytics?

We've read that Adobe WebSDK potentially mitigates these limitations, but it also requires significant technical expertise and implementation effort. In the meantime, are there any other ways we can handle this challenge?

Thank you for your insights! We appreciate any advice on navigating this transition.

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi, I am also concerned about this.. 

WebSDK uses server side cookies, which should mitigate the risks (as you said), but learning the XDM Stream format is daunting. 

I haven't started my WebSDK migration yet, but depending on the complexity of your implementation, you might want to look into the "AA via AEP Web SDK" extension, which uses a similar interface to the the current AA Extension (where you can set your dimensions and events in the familiar style), and it will map to the XDM structures for you automatically.

Here is a User Group session I hosted last year that might help you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7re4vxZBVk

It looks like "Search Discovery" has changed names to "Further" but, the extension should be the same.

However, if your implementation is complex like mine, this may be a lot harder to achieve

Good luck!

Level 1

Thank you, @Jennifer_Dungan!!

As we await the implementation of our WebSDK, I'm interested in exploring short-term solutions to minimize the impact of Google Chrome's third-party cookie phase-out, particularly for cookies like demdex.net (Visitor ID) and s_vi (legacy Analytics ID). These cookies rely on third-party contexts for cross-domain user tracking.

Is there anything we can do to minimize the impact?

Thanks for your insights!

Community Advisor

Yes, I understand that, but I am not sure of anything we can do... 

Now, your s_vi cookie can be set First Party (you need to have your tracking server set up per domain... (as in website is www.mydomain.com and the tracking server is s.mydomain.com), but it's still per domain so that's not really a solution to cross domain tracking... 

One solution our company tried (we lost it when we migrated recently to a new front end code), but out developers create a process to copy the s_ecid cookie to a server side cookie, if the s_ecid cookie wasn't set, they would re-write the s_ecid cookie back to the site, but I don't know if it worked well for cross domain... but this is a significant technical solution to avoid a different significant technical solution...  which sort of defeats the "how can we deal with this simply".

Even setting up the AppendVisitorIDsTo allows you to pass the ECID from Site A to Site B (but only on direct links)... if the user opens Site A, then opens Site B it won't benefit.. 

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan 

Can you please share any documentation or resource for us to better understand this statement. 

"WebSDK uses server side cookies, which should mitigate the risks (as you said), but learning the XDM Stream format is daunting".

I can see this one from a FAQ section. 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-platform/edge/web-sdk-faq.html?lang=en

V_Sirish_Kaushik1_0-1707169805357.png

Are all these cookies set in server-side?

Community Advisor

Hi, first off, I haven't used WebSDK yet myself, so I am by no means an expert on this yet...

But I believe that the cookies you have a screenshot for above are all First Party Cookies (not server-side).

But I've heard that WebSDK sets server side cookies as well... which may or may not be accurate... but I believe that at the very least it cuts out the "third-party" demdex cookie... 

I don't have the documentation to support this... a lot of this info was based on webinars and information being presented in learning sessions, as opposed to written down.

However, first party cookies are still going to be much more reliable than third-party.. but still may fall victim to Safari's ITP... but securely set cookies (via server and not JS) have more authority than a cookie set with JS, and I believe that Safari ITP and Chrome have different rules around those types of cookies... so they are not "server-side cookies, but are cookies set by an authenticated server":

When using the Web SDK, the Edge Network sets one or more of the cookies above. The Edge Network sets all the cookies with the secure and sameSite="none" attributes.

The Edge network is the server, and it should be configured to a CNAME record of your website to ensure that cookies are coming from your domain authority. (i.e. if your domain is https://www.mydomain.com, the edge server should be a CNAME to something like https://edge.mydomain.com and not just a generic https://edge.adobe.com server)

But I am sure I heard that Adobe would also use server side cookies in conjunction with those first-party cookies to identify users, but I am not seeing this here.... maybe they just meant the cookies would be set from the server, rather than stored on the server... 

Community Advisor

Sorry, I wish there was a magic wand to make things work.. just know that we are all in this mess together...