Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Getting total Exit Link Instances in Report Builder

Level 4

Hi,

I'm creating a report in Excel in which I want to include all clicks on links to an external website that is linked to across our site. 

My initial thought was to create a segment of:

Hit: Exit Link contains www.example.com

And put this into a site metrics or site totals report in report builder with a metric of instances; this, I thought, would generate a single figure demonstrating how often users have clicked through to this site. However, report builder will not let me do this. 

I'm reluctant to use the "Exits" metric as Exits and Exit Link Instances are distinct in Analytics and it won't give a true figure. The only way I have thought of so far is to pull an exit links report in report builder with a metric of instances, but I am also reluctant to do this as there are a potentially huge number of query strings which could fill the 50,000 limit. 

Has anyone got any thoughts as to how best to pull this as a single figure in report builder without creating a new success event?

Thanks

Tobz

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi Tobz,

Run the Exit link report in ReportBuilder and in step 2 of 2 of the wizard, in the Row Labels next to Exit link on the right click on the "Hide" box next to the "X". Also, in the Metrics next to Instances click on the "None" and select "SubTotal (this request)". See the screen shot below for the selections and a sample of how the subtotaled data will look in Excel. This will return a subtotal of instances (clicks) to Exit Links from your Exit Link report.

Best,

Ryan Praskievicz

ryanpraski.com

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi Tobz,

Run the Exit link report in ReportBuilder and in step 2 of 2 of the wizard, in the Row Labels next to Exit link on the right click on the "Hide" box next to the "X". Also, in the Metrics next to Instances click on the "None" and select "SubTotal (this request)". See the screen shot below for the selections and a sample of how the subtotaled data will look in Excel. This will return a subtotal of instances (clicks) to Exit Links from your Exit Link report.

Best,

Ryan Praskievicz

ryanpraski.com

Level 4

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for this - a brilliantly simple solution.  Have a great weekend.

Tobz