Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.

Flow visualization between 2 Report Suites

Level 3

Hi AA Experts

Say I have 2 different websites (www.abc.com and  www.xyz.com) in 2 different report suites (Prod 1 & Prod 2)

Is it possible to use the Flow and Fall out visualization to understand the traffic flow between 2 applications.

I am sure it work when we diff domains were in diff virtual report suites under the same Report suite - Prod 2

Will it work the same even if its moved to seperate report suites

Thanks

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Unfortunately, Workspace panels only apply to a single suite... so if the two domains are on different suites, there is no way to look at a flow visualization between them.....

Now, if you are just looking for the actual "user comes from site A to site B" or "Site B to Site A".... you could set up a simplified report looking specifically at the referring domain (on the incoming suite) and exit links (on the outgoing).

This won't capture if the user types the domain in directly, but if they click on a link in Site A going to Site B (and you are tracking exit links) - you should be able to see Site B as an exit URL on Site A's suite... and on Site B's suite, you should be able to see Site A as a referring domain.....

This is dependent on exit links being enabled, and that Site A is not listed as an "Internal" domain on Site B... and that Site B isn't an "internal" domain on Site A....

Community Advisor

I should mention... if the suites are virtual from the same "parent", then you should be able to create a report on the main suite (I don't know if you can do that when selected to a specific virtual suite... you could try that... I don't know offhand)

But if they are completely different suites... at this time, this isn't possible as far as I am aware....

Community Advisor

Yes if you have virtual suites under the same parent suite, then you can create a report in parent suite. But with the virtual suites not under same parent suite, then i don't think you can create a report for both virtual suites.

Community Advisor

When using Adobe Analytics, Flow and Fallout visualizations are designed to work within a single report suite. This means that if you have two separate websites with different report suites (Prod 1 & Prod 2), you won't be able to use these visualizations to analyze traffic flow between the two applications directly.

However, there are a couple of workarounds to help you achieve a similar analysis:

1. Virtual Report Suites: As you mentioned, if both domains are tracked under the same report suite, you can use Virtual Report Suites to create segmented views of your data for each domain. This will allow you to use Flow and Fallout visualizations to analyze traffic flow between the two applications. However, this approach would require you to combine the tracking for both websites into a single report suite, which might not be feasible or ideal in every situation.

2. Cross-Domain Tracking: If combining the tracking of both websites into a single report suite is not an option, you can implement cross-domain tracking. This involves passing an identifier (e.g., a visitor ID) between the two domains and setting up a custom variable (eVar or prop) to track the referring domain. This way, you can create segments in each report suite based on the custom variable to analyze the traffic flow between the two applications. However, this approach requires custom implementation and won't provide the same level of visualization as Flow and Fallout reports.

In summary, Flow and Fallout visualizations work only within a single report suite. If you want to analyze traffic flow between two separate report suites, you will need to either combine the tracking for both websites into a single report suite and use Virtual Report Suites or implement cross-domain tracking and create custom segments based on the referring domain. Both approaches have their limitations and may require additional implementation efforts.

Community Advisor

One fundamental concept of a (real) report suite, is "a silo of data that Adobe Analytics uses to pull reports" as documented at Create a report suite | Adobe Analytics. It basically means you cannot blend any data from multiple report suites together in any reporting capabilities directly in Adobe Analytics.