Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

Extract Data from Adobe Analytics into Power BI

Level 2

Hello! I am trying to extract data from Adobe Analytics in Power BI Desktop and I need some advices/guidance, please.

1. I've tried to use the Adobe Analytics Connector from PBI, but it doesn't work very well so this in not an option. I've tried using Data Warehouse, but here I can't find some metrics, like Bounces, Engaged Visits. Also, I've tried Report Builder, but this also has some limitations. Is there any other way to extract massive data from Adobe Analytics? 

2. I want to mention that I have also some segments, that need to be extracted as a dimension (as rows, not as columns or filters). Is there any way to do this? I have a lot of segments, so if I want to use DataWarehouse or Report Builder I will need to make a report request for each segment, which is a lot of manual work. Any advices?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You can try the API? 

Anything you can pull in Workspace you can pull with the API (because the Workspace is actually built using the API).

Here is a little known trick to get this process started:

First enable the debugger:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1684244094026.png

This will add a new icon on your freeform and visualizations:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1684244129438.png

When you click on this, it will have some options (like table or sparkline), the in the next level you will get timestamps of data pulls:

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1684244170315.png

Click on the timestamp you are interested in, this will open a new window that will include the API calls in use in multiple formats....

You can grab these and modify them to suit your needs.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You can try the API? 

Anything you can pull in Workspace you can pull with the API (because the Workspace is actually built using the API).

Here is a little known trick to get this process started:

First enable the debugger:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1684244094026.png

This will add a new icon on your freeform and visualizations:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1684244129438.png

When you click on this, it will have some options (like table or sparkline), the in the next level you will get timestamps of data pulls:

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1684244170315.png

Click on the timestamp you are interested in, this will open a new window that will include the API calls in use in multiple formats....

You can grab these and modify them to suit your needs.

Community Advisor

The other option is Raw Data Feeds.... however, when dealing with Raw Data, you need to process the data yourself (like making sure you exclude the data that shouldn't be part of your data (there's a field indicating if the data should be excluded), and there are a lot of other things that need to be done for you to pull out reports that properly replicate Adobe's processed data....

This can be a big job to get started... so unless you already have a process in place for Raw Data, it won't work for you now... but it is a project that you could look at for the future.

Community Advisor
  1. Extracting data from Adobe Analytics to Power BI:

If the Power BI connector and Data Warehouse options are not working for your use case, you can try using the Adobe Analytics API to extract the data directly into Power BI. You can use the RESTful API to request the data you need and then parse and load it into Power BI.

To do this, you will need to follow these steps:

• Get your API credentials (client ID, secret, and access token) from the Adobe Developer Console.
  • Use Power BI's built-in support for REST APIs to create a connection to the Adobe Analytics API.
  • Write custom M or DAX code to call the appropriate API endpoints and retrieve the data you need, including metrics and dimensions.
  • Process the JSON data returned by the API and load it into your Power BI data model.

For more information on using the Adobe Analytics API, refer to the official documentation: https://developer.adobe.com/analytics-apis/docs/2.0/

1. Extracting segments as dimensions:

Unfortunately, Adobe Analytics doesn't support extracting segments as dimensions directly. You will have to create separate requests for each segment to get the data you need, as you mentioned. However, you can automate this process using the API approach mentioned above.

You can create a loop in your M or DAX code to iterate through the list of segments and request data for each of them. You can then combine the resulting data into a single data model within Power BI, effectively treating each segment as a dimension.

While this may require some additional effort in terms of writing and maintaining custom code, it could significantly reduce the manual work involved in extracting the data you need from Adobe Analytics.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.