Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

eVar Persistence Question

Level 1

Hi all,

I have noticed in one of our applications that an eVar does not always show up in our hits during one of our events even though that eVar was persisting properly beforehand, however if I break that event down by that eVar in Adobe I do still see the proper data for it. Does the eVar continue to persist if nothing is written in to replace it even if the space for it is blank in the debugger? For reference, this eVar's expiration is set to Visit otherwise.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

If im understanding your question correctly, you want to know if you will see the evar from a previous hit in a subsequent hit even if nothing overwrote it. If that evar was not used in the subsequent hit, you will not see it in the debugger. Persistence lives in the Adobe data model, not on your site so you wont see it in the debugger. 

Since you mentioned that you do still dee the data in workspace represented correctly, I would say you are good to go here.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

I think we need more information as to what you are doing and where you are doing it....

At one point you say:

if I break that event down by that eVar in Adobe I do still see the proper data for it.

which would indicate that the persistence is working... where are you encountering the issue?

It may even be related to what metric you are pairing with the eVar.

Please help provide us more context so that we can properly support you.

Correct answer by
Level 6

If im understanding your question correctly, you want to know if you will see the evar from a previous hit in a subsequent hit even if nothing overwrote it. If that evar was not used in the subsequent hit, you will not see it in the debugger. Persistence lives in the Adobe data model, not on your site so you wont see it in the debugger. 

Since you mentioned that you do still dee the data in workspace represented correctly, I would say you are good to go here.

Level 8

Agree with @Jennifer_Dungan  and @Nick_Walter 

that's exactly the huge advantage you have with eVars. They persist across web pages (unless you specify them to expire after a Hit which would make them pretty much a prop with a bigger storage capacity - 255 instead of 100 bytes).

Unless you set the eVar with every new request, you will not see them in requests until you overwrite them.

Hope that helps

Björn

Level 4

Hi @rhalper 

The eVar value set once in an Visit will persist it's last value set until expiration takes place. All the others values/success events that take placr post eVar is set and not expired will be available in report.

Serting value blank has no impact, the last value is kept in persistence for reporting.