Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Entry points to the webpage

Level 1

Hi lovely community. Just very new to Adobe so pardon my ignorance. Just wanted to check how would I figure out all the entry points to a particular CTA( Call to action) on a website. Thanks so much in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

As @thelearningproject mentioned, there are many types of CTAs... are you taking about say an external campaign CTA (i.e. cid=123 or utm_campaign=123, etc) or are you talking about a button on your site that is a Call to Action (to make a purchase, or sign up for something etc).

If the first (external campaign), let's suppose you are using the campaign tracking codes (which have a default 1 week attribution) and you want to see JUST the entries. You can actually use the metric "Tracking Code Instances" to get just the entries.

Think of campaign codes in this way:

(External Site with Campaign Link) > Page 1 > Page 2 > Page 3....

Page 1 will track the campaign code, it will also trigger the tracking code instance

Page 2, 3, etc will all track the campaign code too (since you want to attribute purchase successes, signups, other conversions, etc to those campaigns), but because these values are maintained through attribution and not "direct tracking" they will not trigger the instance.

If you want to see all pages/actions from a campaign, you can use Page Views, Visits or Occurrences etc to see everything, Purchase Success or Cart Additions, or custom conversion events to see what conversions are attributed; and you can use the tracking instance to see where the tracking was directly tracked.

If you are trying to see the page where an internal CTA button was clicked... OR the first page of the visit that lead to that internal button.. its similar.

You should be able to again get the button clicked actions and correlate to the page... that is pretty simple... but if you want to to get the user's entry page before clicking an internal button, you would need to pull in the metric of your "internal button" clicks, and pair it with "Entry Page" or "Entry Dimension X", this should correlate the entry page for the visit to the button click.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 2

Hi ruchs, 

When you mention entry points, are you looking at clicks on a particular CTA, or entry point to the page where the CTA resides? If it is the former, then you need to track the clicks first. But if it is the latter, then you can check out the entry pages reports that is available in Reports tab in Adobe Analytics. 

Hope that helps.

Ritesh Gupta

www.thelearningproject.in

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

As @thelearningproject mentioned, there are many types of CTAs... are you taking about say an external campaign CTA (i.e. cid=123 or utm_campaign=123, etc) or are you talking about a button on your site that is a Call to Action (to make a purchase, or sign up for something etc).

If the first (external campaign), let's suppose you are using the campaign tracking codes (which have a default 1 week attribution) and you want to see JUST the entries. You can actually use the metric "Tracking Code Instances" to get just the entries.

Think of campaign codes in this way:

(External Site with Campaign Link) > Page 1 > Page 2 > Page 3....

Page 1 will track the campaign code, it will also trigger the tracking code instance

Page 2, 3, etc will all track the campaign code too (since you want to attribute purchase successes, signups, other conversions, etc to those campaigns), but because these values are maintained through attribution and not "direct tracking" they will not trigger the instance.

If you want to see all pages/actions from a campaign, you can use Page Views, Visits or Occurrences etc to see everything, Purchase Success or Cart Additions, or custom conversion events to see what conversions are attributed; and you can use the tracking instance to see where the tracking was directly tracked.

If you are trying to see the page where an internal CTA button was clicked... OR the first page of the visit that lead to that internal button.. its similar.

You should be able to again get the button clicked actions and correlate to the page... that is pretty simple... but if you want to to get the user's entry page before clicking an internal button, you would need to pull in the metric of your "internal button" clicks, and pair it with "Entry Page" or "Entry Dimension X", this should correlate the entry page for the visit to the button click.

Level 1

Hi Jennifer. 

Thanks, I should have drafted my question  better. I am essentially trying to track all the entry points to one particular CTA, so the organisation I work for have an health check CTA on various web pages on the website. I am trying to track every entry point that takes the users to the Health Check CTA. Hence trying to figure out the means to do that.

Look forward to your response.

Thanks so much. 

Level 2

Hi ruchs, 

To achieve the use case, you can try the below:

You will need to create a segment in Analysis Workspace. You will need to specify two conditions: Page Name THEN event exists. The event in 2nd condition will be the event number of your CTA that you might have reserved whenever a visitor clicks on the CTA button

You can apply the segment to your Pages report. It will show you the intended view. The definition might need to be tweaked if you are not seeing the segment working. Try it and respond if you think it worked.

Community Advisor

Ah, yes, if you are trying to get the entry points (where people are clicking your internal CTAs) then the "entry page" dimension isn't what you want... that will be the entry point of your visit.

"Page Name THEN event exists" is probably too loose of a definition... 

This will cover:

Page A (cta click) > Page B > Page C > Conversion Event

If you don't have explicit click tracking on your CTA, I would be tempted to to create a more specific segment:

Such as

(Visit Level - set to "Only Before Sequence")

Page exists

THEN within 1 Hit

[container:

internal tracking evar equals value (or contains value)
    AND
    internal track evar instance exists

]

Again, you will need to test to make sure that this returns what you expect... i did not build in the success metric here, as you might want to know all the clicks, regardless of whether or not they had successful conversions.

I have click tracking on my CTA so I have never had to use segmenting like this... but it may still pick up ALL pages before the click action, which won't be what you want...