Expand my Community achievements bar.

Duplicate pageview - visit

Level 4

Hi everyone,

I have been getting multiple pageview call for single pageload.

Since, I  create report based on Top pages by visit.

How would the duplicate pageview server call will effect?

Thanks 

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Hey @AEPAA 

Since you are looking at top pages by visits, multiple pageviews would not impact the trend as it would just take into the first pageview for a page during the visit.

On the other hand, you should definitely look at the cause of the multiple pageviews and fix it.

Cheers.

Community Advisor

To add to this, while the trend is unaffected, if only one or some pages are impacted by double tracking, it can be hard to get a proper distribution of your pages (i.e. top pages, top sections, etc...) it could even hurt calculations such as "orders / product page views" if for instance the product page view was the one double tracking.. the conversion rate would look a lot worse...

The other thing to consider is your contract, and how many server calls you have to spare... the contracts are based on server calls... if you are using double the server calls on pages that are popular, this could (depending on your usage and how much room you have left yourself) cause you to go over your allotment and have to pay overage charges when you contract renewal comes up.

Level 1

I'm having a similar issue and I'd like to find out if there's a way to build a report in Adobe Analytics that would flag the duplicate page views.  I tried building a segment that would display page views greater than one but it didn't provide any results.  

Community Advisor

Hmm, you can't get a "fully" identified segment to identify, since the calls are different hits and have different timestamps, etc...

But one thing that you should be able to use is something like a reload rate...

Now reloads are legitimate, when people refresh the page you will get two almost identical hits (basically the same behaviour as an accidental double tracking).

Luckily, it looks like Adobe has added a standard calculation for this (back in the day, you had to create your own reload rate), which is "Reloads / Pageviews".

Now, you will have to figure out, based on your site and user bahaviours what an abnormal rate would look like... for us, looking historically, 10% is a fairly safe rate... if if goes above 10%, if it's only slightly above that and only temporary then I will assume it was just aberrant user behaviours... but if it goes way above that, and it's constant, I would think that's an issue and start investigating it.

If you are tracking your website and mobile apps in the same suite, I would also look at these separately.. you might also want to split your web traffic by device type... how in-depth you want to check is up to you... but we once had an issue that impacted only iPads (the developers put in a refresh between changing breakpoints, and accidentally had a 1 pixel overlap on the logic that matched the exact screen size of the ipad... so ipad users got stuck in an infinite loading loop... for our page views, it looked like a really good news day.. but in isolation we discovered that it was related to a bad deployment)

It's basically impossible to distinguish a reload from an accidental double tracking.. unless you are looking at Raw Data feeds and looking right down to the second / millisecond on the timestamps....