Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

does sequential segmentation works for two different tag properties?

Level 1

Hi all, 

Not sure if a similar question is already available but I'm not able to find a solution to this. 

In my Adobe analytics report, I'm trying to create a sequential segmentation for two different Adobe Launch property (it is a web app, with two tag properties mobile sdk and web launch property)

I would like to calculate successful login by using landing page. So, the login page is sitting on the app but upon login, it will redirect to a mobile in app browser. The login page is using mobile sdk property (For this, the event page and button click event are tagged) while the mobile in app browser landing page is using launch property (not web sdk). 

When creating a segment for the login page (event page and login button clicks), the value that I'm getting is 40k for unique visitors. However, when I did a sequential segmentation together with the landing page, the value dropped to 80 unique visitors. 

The unique visitors just for landing page alone amounts to 140k. In addition to the login button, there are two other methods for login (but these two are not tracked). I have also ruled out those who were unable to successfully login by tracking the error message on the login page (this amounts to 25k).

Hence, based on this, the total no. of unique visitors (UV) I should be getting is ~(40k -25k = 15k) but I'm only getting 80 UV. 

May I know how to resolve this issue? Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

It doesn't matter that you're using 2 different Tags properties for mobile app and website. Ultimately, as you've described, the data gets collected together in the same report suite, and that's where you're running your reports.

The thing to remember, though, is how AA identifies visitors. With both websites and mobile apps, this is normally done with the Experience Cloud ID Service (ECID). However, how the ECID is set in both platforms differs. For websites, it's cookie-based. For mobile apps, it's... I want to say device identifier, but I'm not sure.

The point is that there are 2 different methods for identifying the same visitor using your website and mobile app. As a result, that same visitor gets tracked with 2 different ECID values, and so AA thinks that there are 2 unique visitors instead of 1. This is described at https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/platform-learn/implement-mobile-sdk/app-implementation/web-v... .

You should look at implementing getUrlVariables in your mobile app: https://developer.adobe.com/client-sdks/documentation/identity-for-edge-network/api-reference/#getur..., so that the mobile app's ECID value is used in your website when loaded in the app browser.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

It doesn't matter that you're using 2 different Tags properties for mobile app and website. Ultimately, as you've described, the data gets collected together in the same report suite, and that's where you're running your reports.

The thing to remember, though, is how AA identifies visitors. With both websites and mobile apps, this is normally done with the Experience Cloud ID Service (ECID). However, how the ECID is set in both platforms differs. For websites, it's cookie-based. For mobile apps, it's... I want to say device identifier, but I'm not sure.

The point is that there are 2 different methods for identifying the same visitor using your website and mobile app. As a result, that same visitor gets tracked with 2 different ECID values, and so AA thinks that there are 2 unique visitors instead of 1. This is described at https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/platform-learn/implement-mobile-sdk/app-implementation/web-v... .

You should look at implementing getUrlVariables in your mobile app: https://developer.adobe.com/client-sdks/documentation/identity-for-edge-network/api-reference/#getur..., so that the mobile app's ECID value is used in your website when loaded in the app browser.