Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Does anyone know what (the average) percent of website visitors have ad-blocking/privacy extensions or settings that block them from being tracked by Adobe Analytics?

Level 2

Hi community,

I am looking to understand what percent of site visitors, on average, use ad-blocking or privacy-related browser extensions (or have other browser settings enabled) that block them from being tracked and reported on in Adobe Analytics.

I have done some Googling and it looks like a rough consensus for the blocking of Google Analytics pixels is ~10% to ~20% of site visitors so, assumedly, Adobe Analytics would fall roughly in line with that. 

Also, I have looked at some ecommerce metrics for a site I work on wherein each purchase has a sequential Transaction ID, and it looks like we are capturing ~80% of said transactions in Adobe Analytics (meaning ~20% are being blocked/not captured), which would seem to further support the above rough estimate.

Just seeing if anyone in the community has any data, research, or other insight to support/refute the range I listed above, or which points to a different %.

Thanks as always, y'all rock!!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I've also seen the ~10-20%... that's about as close as you are going to get at this time...

The problem is that Ad Blockers aren't the only way to exclude tracking.. I assume this is still the case, but Browsers also have a "do not track" directive, and Adobe will not track the user at all if this is selected... so they may still be seeing ads, but not tracking.

Given that you can correlate your sales to your Adobe Data, that's the best indicator you have right there....

The internet average may be 10-20%, but depending on your site, the level of technical maturity of your audience, etc, sites can be much lower, or much higher than this.... so it's really just a general estimation... you could have a site with 50% or more ad block usage... or a site with only 2%.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I've also seen the ~10-20%... that's about as close as you are going to get at this time...

The problem is that Ad Blockers aren't the only way to exclude tracking.. I assume this is still the case, but Browsers also have a "do not track" directive, and Adobe will not track the user at all if this is selected... so they may still be seeing ads, but not tracking.

Given that you can correlate your sales to your Adobe Data, that's the best indicator you have right there....

The internet average may be 10-20%, but depending on your site, the level of technical maturity of your audience, etc, sites can be much lower, or much higher than this.... so it's really just a general estimation... you could have a site with 50% or more ad block usage... or a site with only 2%.

Level 2

Thanks @Jennifer_Dungan , appreciate the quick response. Yeah, seems like a case by case basis, but a 20% "blocked" percentage is not out of the ordinary. 

Community Advisor

Yeah, I'd say 20% sounds about right... more and more people are actively blocking analytics, but also, more and more browsers are automatically blocking tracking... (Firefox I'm looking at you)... 

Level 1

20% is definitely a solid guess as a rough guide. VPNs, Ad blockers etc are becoming more popular, not to mention devices blocking or resetting cookies after X period of inactivity are becoming more of an issue for analytic purposes.