Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Date Segments Changed/Broken

Level 3

has anything changed with the out of the box date segments like 'last week', 'last month' etc.

These used to work independently of the date range on your workspace report, so that you could compare different time periods.

Something has changed and now they are somehow relative to the workspace date rather than todays date.

E.g. Previously if I applied 'Last Month' to my table in workspace, irrespective of what date range was on the workspace report it showed the last full month.

I.E even if my workspace had December on, it would show me January last week (as we were in Feb)

now its showing me November

this completely breaks a lot of our workspace reports created and i now have no idea how we create such things without creating fixed segments for each week or month or time period we wish to compare on a regular basis making it unusable as a tool

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi, I think I may have caught a bug with the new "Make date range components relative to the calendar panel" feature in Adobe Workspace. My scenario sort of unique:

• Globally, my company has Adobe Analytics configured to utilize Mon - Sun weeks
  • The market I'm in (US) uses Sun - Sat weeks for weekly reporting. To make up for this, my team has to rely on Adobe Workspace's custom date range feature when reporting weekly website data trends. We have custom date ranges for each Sun - Sat week of the year (Week 1, Week 2, etc) and rolling Sun - Sat date ranges (1 Week Ago, 2 Weeks Ago, etc) as well.

The possible bug I caught relates to my rolling Sun - Sat date ranges. Today is 2/14/23 so the (Sun - Sat) week prior should be 2/5/23 to 2/11/23. Therefore, I built my "1 Week Ago" custom date range in the following manner:

Adobe example 1.png

This rolling custom date range works as expected:

tsherwi_0-1676390106618.png

When I open the panel calendar, check "Make date range components relative to the calendar panel", and then change the panel calendar's date range to 2/5/23 to 2/11/23 the expected result would be that my rolling custom date range would be altered to 1/29/23 to 2/4/23 but that is not what is happening:

tsherwi_1-1676390404372.png

Is this a bug or should I build my custom calendar date ranges differently?

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Community Advisor

EEK! That's not good....

In fact, you can no longer make rolling date ranges relative to the current date.. I just tested making my own "Last Month" and it acts the same as the standard "Last Month" 

This is going to break a lot of stuff for us too....

Level 3

I have just been informed @Jennifer_Dungan that I missed some release notes.

Adobe has made a change, but you need to go into reports and ensure a tick box is unselected now https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/analyze/analysis-workspace/components/calendar-dat...

Im genuinly puzzed why anyone thought this was an improvement but hey, I am just one user

Community Advisor

That option doesn't appear for me...  is this half released???

Also, all existing date ranges (especially the default ones that are used in so many reports) should maintain the original calculation criteria... if they want to make some new relative date ranges fine....

Community Advisor

Oh, it's showing up now.. and I can turn it off in preferences... but now I will have to teach everyone in my organization about this setting so that they can adjust for it...

Level 1

Hey @Hayley1 ,

I'm an engineering manager on the Adobe Analytics UI team. After discussing this specific feature with the team this morning, the intention was not to make it the default and we’ll be reverting this so that it is no longer the default. We’re excited about the panel date range feature, but it’ll stay as a user preference setting. Sorry for the scare! The default setting should be reverting soon. 

Community Advisor

Thank you Danny!!! I appreciate you taking the time to out our fears at ease.

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi, I think I may have caught a bug with the new "Make date range components relative to the calendar panel" feature in Adobe Workspace. My scenario sort of unique:

• Globally, my company has Adobe Analytics configured to utilize Mon - Sun weeks
  • The market I'm in (US) uses Sun - Sat weeks for weekly reporting. To make up for this, my team has to rely on Adobe Workspace's custom date range feature when reporting weekly website data trends. We have custom date ranges for each Sun - Sat week of the year (Week 1, Week 2, etc) and rolling Sun - Sat date ranges (1 Week Ago, 2 Weeks Ago, etc) as well.

The possible bug I caught relates to my rolling Sun - Sat date ranges. Today is 2/14/23 so the (Sun - Sat) week prior should be 2/5/23 to 2/11/23. Therefore, I built my "1 Week Ago" custom date range in the following manner:

Adobe example 1.png

This rolling custom date range works as expected:

tsherwi_0-1676390106618.png

When I open the panel calendar, check "Make date range components relative to the calendar panel", and then change the panel calendar's date range to 2/5/23 to 2/11/23 the expected result would be that my rolling custom date range would be altered to 1/29/23 to 2/4/23 but that is not what is happening:

tsherwi_1-1676390404372.png

Is this a bug or should I build my custom calendar date ranges differently?

Level 2

This does not address the issue I described.

Community Advisor

Lol.. yeah, that's a little odd

But I think it does make sense if you think about it.... I don't think it's a bug.. but it is a new way for us to think about the date calculation logic.

Your weeks run Mon - Sun

Feb 5th is a Sunday (the last day of your configured week).

So "start of current week" would actually be Jan 30 (in your setup), then subtract 8 days from that, you end up with Jan 22.

And the "start of current week" (again Jan 30, but it's the also the beginning of the day, so essentially midnight of the 29th), subtract 1 day would be Jan 28.

Therefore in the "relative" date logic, this is why you got Jan 22-28

I do understand that isn't really the result you want though... but the math does make sense when you break it down.... This might mean that to use relative dates, you will need a separate custom week range to get the intended results....

Level 2

Thanks for your thorough response. Looks like I have some creative date hacking to do.

Community Advisor

I think we are all in that boat! At least for now, you can turn off relative dates until you get your head wrapped around the "new math"