Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Can I overwrite classification values populated by Classification Rule Builder?

Level 2

I have a campaign value that comes over as a URL query parameter that looks like this:  cid={channel}-{program}-{region}-{activity}.  I have rules set up in the Classification Rule Builder to parse out the values for Channel, Program, Region, and Activity.  And I have a finite list of values for channel, program, and region.  This list of values isn't being used as strictly as I'd like it to be, so I was wondering if there is any way to overwrite the values that are not in my list with "Other".  For eVars and Props I think processing rules would work, but it looks like I don't have visibility into the different component of my campaign value in processing rules.  Are there other ways to do this?

Thanks,

Kerri

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Kerri,

1.Processing rules only works from the point your create them onward. It will not modify historical data.

2.Yes you can modify the values set by classification rule builder. Go to STAR icon >> ADMIN TOOLS >> Classification Importer >> Browser export or FTP export. Once you have the file, chnage the values in the corresponding columns for the specific keys and go back to classification importer but this time select Import. Classification is retroactive so it will change historical data as well.

Documentation : http://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/reference/index.html#Classifications_Importer_Upload

Best regards.

Alexis Cazes

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Kerri,

1.Processing rules only works from the point your create them onward. It will not modify historical data.

2.Yes you can modify the values set by classification rule builder. Go to STAR icon >> ADMIN TOOLS >> Classification Importer >> Browser export or FTP export. Once you have the file, chnage the values in the corresponding columns for the specific keys and go back to classification importer but this time select Import. Classification is retroactive so it will change historical data as well.

Documentation : http://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/reference/index.html#Classifications_Importer_Upload

Best regards.

Alexis Cazes

Level 2

Hello Alexis - 

Thanks so much for responding.  That was my first question in the Adobe Community, so i'm super excited to get an answer.

My thoughts in response to yours. 

1.Yes.. with the processing rule, it would not update historical data... which would be fine to have the changes made going forward.

2.  I didn't even think about the Classification Importer.  This will actually work for historic data, but going forward would be an added recurring clean up process. I was hoping for something a little more proactive.

I do currently have a processing rule set up for an eVar to keep the list of values clean.  Basically it says if the value of eVar1 isn't abc, def, or xyz, then call it Other.  I was hoping for something like that for our channel, program, and region values.  

Either way, your response helped a lot.. and maybe if the people doing the tags see that we're going to clean out the things they aren't supposed to use, they'll be a little more careful.

Thanks!!!

Kerri

Community Advisor

Hi Kerri,

You can also overwrite all data classification with rule builder for I think up to 6 months ago.

Just disable the rule and activate it again. When you activate it again, you will see at the bottom of the pop up window : "

" and you can select past 6 months. So you can correct all classified value for past 6 months as easy as that. So I think I think it will reclassify all keys that were present in database in the past 6 months but they might have been present one year ago as well and as classification is retroactive, it will apply the correction for before the 6 months is ket was present.

Best regards.

Alexis Cazes

Level 4

Hi Kerri,

Classification Rules execute in the order they appear. So always the last matching rule wins.

Try setting "Other" as the first set of rules in your rule builder. Then add the rule for your specific values. In this way, all values will set to 'Other' by default. If there is a value found in cid then for that campaign the values will be overwritten by the second set of rules.

e.g.

Rule1: Channel="Other"

Rule2: Program="Other"

Rule3: Region="Other"

Rule4: Activity="Other"

Rule5: Channel={Values from your list}

Rule6: Program={Values from your list}

Rule7: Region={Values from your list}

Rule8: Activity={Values from your list}

Level 2

Thanks everyone.  Once I put all of this together I think I'll get what I want. 

Employee Advisor

Friendly heads up, I recorded an official video that covers this topic: https://outv.omniture.com?v=40dTZvazpsI5AiIP6M42WZPFXljKGtuP

The topic of overwriting values starts at about the 3-minute mark.