Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar: Adobe Customer Journey Analytics Product Innovations: A Quarterly Overview. Come learn for the Adobe Analytics Product team who will be covering AJO reporting, Graph-based Stitching, guided analysis for CJA, and more!

Average Time Spent on Page View

Level 4

Hi All,

I was wondering how to properly Calculate Average Time Spent on a Page View? I have a hit segment applied to a specific page. It is also my understanding that page views can increase without a timestamp being applied https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/components/metrics/total-seconds-spent

Here is my metric:

skatofiabah_0-1723146542523.png

This segment in the metric removes this page view if it was the 1 and only page view in the visit. I'm anxious that in a scenario where a user sees the page 2 times and the 2nd time the user doesn't have an additional hit and closes the browser. To my understanding, the total seconds spent wouldn't increase but the page views would increase, meaning I could get a smaller average inflating the page view denominator without a corresponding total seconds spent to add in the numerator. Is there a way to remove the last page view that doesn't have a subsequent hit or server call as that page so that way each page view for that page has a corresponding total seconds spent to add?

Thanks!

3 Replies

Level 2

Try using "Exclude hits with 'Time Spent on Page - Granular' is greater than or equal to 0'" as the basis for your hit level segment that filters page views. When applied to page views, only page views that have time spent data are included.

Screenshot 2024-08-21 080235.png

In the screenshot below you can see how the "Hits with 'Time Spent on Page - Granular' is greater than or equal to 0'" segment, when applied to page views, does not include page views from bounces or page views that were the last hit in the visit.

Screenshot 2024-08-21 080121.png

Edit: Add "Page (Non-Repeating Instances) exists" to the segment to also exclude reloaded page view counts.

Level 4

Hi @philschmidt,

How would I then filter it down to get the average time spent on particular sets of pages? For example, getting each page (and url) on dimensions and then have average time spent on that page in columns for metrics? I understand your segments in that time won't exist in a last hit so we can exclude that. But, how do we include the time exists and exclude when the user goes to a different page? An example could be if I enter on Page a and spend 15 seconds, then I refresh and Page A fires against and I'm there 45 seconds, then I need that Page A to show my average time was (15+45)/2 = 30 seconds.

Level 2

Add "Page (Non-Repeating Instances) exists" to your segment that filters page views. Reloaded page views will be excluded.Screenshot 2024-08-21 080824.png