Expand my Community achievements bar.

Analytics Mobile Implementation on Capacitor Hybrid Mobile Application (Cordova Plugin Update)

Level 1

Hi, my team is working on a technical approach to implement Adobe Analytics on our mobile application, but we have hit a wall because we have both native components written in Swift and Kotlin, but we also have hybrid components written in JavaScript and mediated via Capacitor. 

Our research has surfaced that there used to be a Cordova plugin which seems to have passed the data on to Adobe Analytics, but this has since been deprecated. (As an aside, we did also read the following questions posted on Experience League: Thread 1, Thread 2)

Is there anybody with a current hybrid mobile application architecture that has faced the need to implement AA and has found an alternative? Is the Mobile Implementation SDK the only current option?

Another way to think about this: for anyone who was relying on Apache Cordova to mediate their hybrid application, what has happened since the deprecation and has anyone explored any alternatives? 

Thank you! 

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Reply

Community Advisor

That sounds complex... while we don't have a hybrid model, I am sure that you could use the SDK for the native portion, then use a modified Web JS approach for that portion of the tracking... however, you will need to be careful to make sure that the two portions of the app interact properly together... 

Make sure that you are passing information from the native portion into the JS portion (things such as the ECID so that you don't end up with two UVs and two Visits for each use of the app).

One thing that we do in our apps is ensure that each page in our mobile app is associated to a URL (either the equivalent to our website version of the page, or a "fake" url that represents the app)... While Adobe should just be looking at the timestamp of pages per user, if you are doing any sort of custom reporting that looks at referring data, you might need to pass information back and forth to ensure that this is captured in your tracking.

The best thing I can say is "Do lots of testing to make sure that the implementation is working as expected" and good luck.

Also, testing will be difficult, while you can use AEP Assurance on the native side (and look at the post-processed data), your will likely need a proxy setup (Charles or Fiddler) to test the JS portion. While the proxy will still capture the native portion, I would still recommend AEP Assurance to speed up testing where ever possible.