Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Analytics API and oauth authorization

Level 2

Hi - I'm trying to start pulling data from the analytics API but am falling at the first hurdle, trying to get an authorization token.

I'm following the instructions here:

analytics-1.4-apis/auth_client_credentials.md at master · AdobeDocs/analytics-1.4-apis · GitHub

However when I submit the request I always get the response "The grant type was not specified in the request"

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

This is what I'm entering into curl (with a client ID and secret from a recently registered app):

$ curl -i -v "https://api.omniture.com/token" -u 'YOUR_CLIENT_ID:YOUR_CLIENT_SECRET' -d "grant_type=client_credentials"

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

So are you following this method in this order?

Then you can put in your App ID and secret into the curl scripts.

Example Script

Example Application:

Application ID [Your application ID here]

Application Secret [Your application Secret here]

Type Client Credentials

Get token doc example:

curl -i -v "https://api.omniture.com/token" -u '[Application ID]:[Application Secret]' -d "grant_type=client_credentials"

example to get the stream (on a mac from terminal):

curl "[insert stream url here]" --header "Authorization: Bearer [paste token here]" --compressed

Be sure to put your client credentials exactly.  It looks like your call is failing on the first call on the Grant Type.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Employee

How recent is your application ID and secret?  They do expire after several hours if they are not used for security purposes.

Level 2

Ah I was not aware of that It's possible that it was a few hours between it being created and my using it. I'll create a new one and have a go. Thanks for the response.

Level 2

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the solution. I have tested this again with a new application ID & secret that was only a couple of minutes old and got the same response.

Correct answer by
Employee

So are you following this method in this order?

Then you can put in your App ID and secret into the curl scripts.

Example Script

Example Application:

Application ID [Your application ID here]

Application Secret [Your application Secret here]

Type Client Credentials

Get token doc example:

curl -i -v "https://api.omniture.com/token" -u '[Application ID]:[Application Secret]' -d "grant_type=client_credentials"

example to get the stream (on a mac from terminal):

curl "[insert stream url here]" --header "Authorization: Bearer [paste token here]" --compressed

Be sure to put your client credentials exactly.  It looks like your call is failing on the first call on the Grant Type.

Level 2

Hi - thanks for all your help. Looks like it was down to the limitations of the curl tool I was using. I am now able to perform the request.