Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Adobe analytics API

Level 2

Hi 

I want to create workspace report for download software. I expect adobe analytics to capture that activity in the form of download and download complete, then on a daily basis, I expect to receive daily data feed of the last 365 days of software downloads for each asset. How to create this ? and do we need to use Adobe Analytics API service. 

Please suggest step by step process.

Thanks,  

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

As @yuhuisg mentioned, the easiest way is likely to schedule a report.  Depending upon your use case, you can select PDF or CSV. 

When you mention "data feed" it makes me wonder if you need more automation.  If that's the case, you can look at a variety of other options such as API, Data Warehouse, or connectors such as Alteryx.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Community Advisor

You can set up a scheduled report. Configure your report in Analysis Workspace, then schedule it by following these instructions: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/analyze/analysis-workspace/curate-share/t-schedule...

Level 2

Thanks for your suggestion @yuhuisg 

I am looking for more automation data feed reporting. can you please suggest me how we use Adobe API or Data Warehouse?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

As @yuhuisg mentioned, the easiest way is likely to schedule a report.  Depending upon your use case, you can select PDF or CSV. 

When you mention "data feed" it makes me wonder if you need more automation.  If that's the case, you can look at a variety of other options such as API, Data Warehouse, or connectors such as Alteryx.

Level 2

Hi @Josh__Stephens 

Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes I am looking for more automation, can you please suggest me how we use Adobe API or Data Warehouse?

Thanks,

Community Advisor

Note what @Jennifer_Dungan mentioned about verifying you have access to what you want to track.

Here's links for Data Warehouse and APIs. 

I have only briefly used Data Warehouse and it wasn't very intuitive for me.  Once you get it set the way you want it, I could see how it would be useful. 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/export/data-warehouse/data-warehouse.html?lang=en

https://developer.adobe.com/analytics-apis/docs/2.0/

Community Advisor

Data Warehouse is like a flat table of data... there are some caveats here... such as every variation of any one field will create a new row... and IF you are trying to pull things like Visits or Unique Visitors, you will over count those, as there is no way to properly de-duplicated these... unless of course you add a user's Unique Identifier as a column, which will result in every individual download being sent as its own row (which will make the file huge)

With the API, if you build the report you want in workspace, you can leverage the API calls used to build that report (Workspace uses the API), by enabling debug mode:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1686063141111.png

This will add a new icon on your tables?
Jennifer_Dungan_1-1686063327245.png

When you click on it, it will provide options:

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1686063357551.png

Then, it will show you timestamps of runs:

Jennifer_Dungan_3-1686063392865.png

Choosing this will open a new window showing the API calls in different formats (JSON, curl, etc), that you can copy and use...

It makes setting up API calls a lot easier, since you can start with a known base....

Community Advisor

Can you explain more what you mean by "download and download complete"

You can add tracking to your website to track when people click to download something (either through the automatic "download" tracking based on file extensions, or you can create custom code to support fancier site implementations and additional data about the downloads....

But one a download has started, that's in the browser and no longer part of the scope of your website.. I don't think you will be able to track downloads complete because of this... There may be some sort of signal you can listen for that will indicate download completed, if the user has your site open, but it could be a download from another site, or the user might navigate away from your site preventing any detection....

Unless you somehow have a trigger in your download to load a webpage ("thanks for downloading X, here are somethings you can now do...."). if you have this, then you can add tracking to that page.

You shouldn't need the API to get a report.. Workspaces should be sufficient, but you first need to know how you are tracking, what you can track and what your limitations are; then you can plan for a report.

Level 2

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan 

we are tracking downloads file, and for v24 we are using for download code value of the product along with that we are using 2 events for download initiated and download complete and that report we have in adobe workspace report but we need to share that report one of the different team they don't have any access on the same. Now they want me, we need to pass our data to them using Adobe API (either we need to use postman or pgadmin for connectivity) but my question is that how we can setting up the process and how we extract the json data.

Raj9_1-1686741138565.png

Thanks 

Community Advisor

Hi @Raj9 

So there's a lot to unpack there....

This report could be scheduled to send as a CSV format using the Project Scheduler (this would be the easiest)... but recently, there is also the "Share Report with Anyone" feature, which allows you to create a share link that anyone (without an Adobe Account) can access a report. This would also be easy....

This table should also be easy to create as a scheduled Data Warehouse export.... it's already a simple "flat" table design.... you could add your custom dimension and 2 custom metrics (with the segment applied to the whole export)...  This would also be a really easy solution to schedule.

But if you really need the API, did you follow the steps above to get the API call for this table that you can run in a tool that makes API requests? (I don't know if Postman can be scheduled... I've only ever used Postman for adhoc testing rules.... )

I haven't used the API much (we used to use version 1.3 years ago, but not 2.0 much...)... but for this to work, you have to create an authentication (which I assume you have done?) and then get the API request as per my instructions above, then you will have to set up the schedule... there's a lot of steps involved...

If I were trying to get that particular data set out, I would probably just use the Project scheduler in Workspace, or Data Warehouse myself..... Unless I specifically needed the data to be ingested into a Database for other uses, the API seems overkill.