Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Would you like to be able to group reports by Team Name or Group Name?

Level 10
Hi Folks, Whilst this is a reporting-related topic, I feel it is significant and also needs highlighting in the main forum. There is a Workfront limitation whereby you cannot group most reports by a related Team Name or a Group Name and then show it on a chart. This affects Task Reports (assigned-to team name), Assignment reports (assigned-to team name), and Hour Reports (owner home team name). It is possible via text mode to change the grouping so that the Details tab will show the Team Name, however this doesn't work when you go to the Chart tab. This has been discussed in a thread over in the Reporting area: https://community.workfront.com/p/fo/st/thread=542 At this point it is in the category of a Feature Request. I have submitted one, and Anthony Imgrund also has in the past. To me, this is a basic reporting requirement that many other Workfront customers would want, so if you do - please let Workfront know here and also by raising a feature request at https://hub.workfront.com . Thanks, David.
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

9 Replies

Level 5
Thanks for bringing this up, David. The incomplete view mapping has been a sore spot for us for quite awhile. Home team name is essential. We've also been begging for some way of overriding "No Value" to something else, such as "Unidentified", "Null", or "Missing Data". "No Value" has raised too many eyebrows over the wrong element.

Level 10
David and Marty, I invite you to visit my latest Get What You Nee d blog post, which illustrates a technique I devised to allow you to chart Tasks by Home Team, Home Group, or Primary Role. Thanks for an interesting challenge. Regards, Doug

Level 8
Ah..genius! Thanks for figuring this out!

Level 10
Great work, Doug - will give this a try! Thank you...

Level 6
I'm pretty new to Workfront and diving into the deep end here! (I just can't resist). This solution makes a ton of sense, thanks for mapping it out. I'm wondering if there is a limit of IF() statements per calculated field in Workfront. Our in house graphics team serves about 240 sales offices around the world. We've set them up as individual groups using a kick start (thankful for that feature!). Now I'm trying to pull the Group Name, which is the office name, rather than the Home Group ID string on reports. So I'm trying to do this IF statement about 240 times! How do I "get what I want?" David Bray

Level 10
Hi David, I'm glad you liked the "http://store.atappstore.com/2016/10/get-what-you-need/">article . Yes, as I recall, I did hit a limit on indenting IIF statements ("19 levels" sticks in my mind, although I suspect I've done more). So it's possible that the code that evaluates calculations is smart enough to go 240 levels deep. However, there's another option that might be a safer bet and more maintainable (using a similar Excel technique, wrapped in a CONCAT): CONCAT(IF(Home Group ID='18731ab4182cb19','001 This Group,''),IF(Home Group ID='18295a22b19','002 That Group',''),...) This effectively keeps the translation part "flat" within the CONCAT, ignores the non-matches (by converting them to an empty string), substitutes only the one that does match, and then collapses down to only that one value. The only caveat is that instead of the default '999 Other' showing up, if no match is found (typically because a new Home Group has been created but the formula not yet updated), it will return an empty string (albeit still "plot-able" in a chart). Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 6
After working with our consultant, he showed me that you can use text mode to show the name rather than the ID. Saves on having a lot of calculated fields. Simply switch into text mode and where it has "ID" change it to ":name" (colon needed). For example: textmode=false group.0.linkedname=sponsor group.0.namekey=view.relatedcolumn group.0.valuefield=sponsor:homeGroup ID group.0.namekeyargkey.0=sponsor group.0.namekeyargkey.1=homeGroup ID group.0.valueformat=string textmode=true group.0.linkedname=sponsor group.0.namekeyargkey.0=sponsor group.0.namekeyargkey.1=homeGroup :name group.0.valueformat=string group.0.namekey=view.relatedcolumn group.0.valuefield=sponsor:homeGroup :name Hopefully this helps! David Bray Trane US Inc

Hi, David, This works in columns, however, it is not working in groupings for me... maybe you know something more that I don't?

Level 7

using a single calculated field on a custom form on the user profile to show Home Group allowed me to group (chart) by the custom form data point (the calculated field)