Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

WorkFront Product Roadmap Q3 2016 - Can we talk?

Level 10
Hi: I'll be the first to post some thoughts about the Product Roadmap call that occurred a short while ago. 1) I like the increased communication. I'm a pre-anaconda user and remember the dark ages of poor communication. WorkFront is far, far more communicative than they were a year ago. Good job; 2) I like that this call wasn't rushed. People still read from a script, but they weren't rushing through it and then signing off, bang its over. I think the pacing was a little better. Fast is not good, as the information density is high and it takes a little bit to understand what is being said. Rushing through it doesn't give people time to assimilate what is being said; 3) The graphics in the corner are a nice touch. It is so critical to set expectations appropriately, so letting us know that this idea is being researched, being developed, or ready to be deployed is an excellent thing to do; 4) Once again, this Roadmap FELT like it was targeted to marketeers. The language used for functionality that had value for both traditional project managers and Marketing managers was in the vernacular of marketing. The concepts and language of project management are the same in every field, so it would be okay to use that language. Instead, the language of marketing was chosen. I was waiting for some nod to the fact that the User Community has made it clear there are concerns about WorkFront's apparent focus on Marketing to the exclusion of PPM. I thought SOMEONE would have mentioned how this feature or that feature has value to both PPM and Marketing. No one did. This Roadmap presentation wasn't for PPM, it was for Marketing. Thats my opinion. It doesn't have to be this way. A lot of the features WorkFront is pitching to marketing add a lot of value to PPM, but the PPM customers won't realize that because the language and examples and webinars only show the features used in context of marketing. By targeting features to Marketing, instead of targeting it one way to Marketing and another way to PPM, it creates the impression that WorkFront is not focused on the PPM market. 5) This is the first time I've heard WorkFront address the lack of time-based, or project-based, cost rates. Good job, people. While others were likely happy to see other features, I was very well pleased to see this on the roadmap. The lack of time-based cost rates for people have caused us to compromise our use of WorkFront to manage project costs. Releasing this functionality into GA is going to be transformative to how we manage and account for project cost. Again, good job WorkFront. 6) I love Q&A sessions. Instead of having us send questions to be answered offline, or at a future date, why not have a panel discussion of WorkFront people answering questions entered into the Webinar. There is plenty of time left over at the end of the presentation. Why not take questions and answer a few on the call? I learn a lot from questions other people ask. I feel as though the value of the call is diminshed because there is no Q&A portion of the call. In the end, I really like these Roadmap calls. I like that they are becoming more polished, more relaxed, with higher production values. That means people are thinking these things through carefully before they put it out to the user community. The thinking and care show in the quality of the presentation and the wording of the scripts people read. Good job! Anyone else have an opinion they'd like to share? Eric
9 Replies

Level 10
Agreed, Eric: best presentation yet, folks. Well done, and thank you for your transparency. For AtAppStore, our mission is to create useful extensions that compliment Workfront's core product, but with as little overlap as possible (since neither firm wants to waste work on something the other can do), and in turn, provide maximum functional coverage to the wider Workfront Community. Knowing Workfront's official vector and speed is exceptionally helpful, to that end. Accordingly, I Took A Lot Of Notes. As for the PPM vs Marketing slant, clearly, today's session had more for the latter. However, I suggest that this is more because the pendulum of Workfront focus had been swung that direction for a number of months (see "Workfron purchases ProofHQ" for more information) than it was an intentional slight against those using Workfront in more of a pure PPM play. In time, it will swing back, as pendulums do. Regards, Doug

Level 6
Hi Eric I completely agree with your statement about referencing the marketing point of view. Honestly, I've caught myself switching off the moment I think they're talking about a marketing feature. I believe this community is pushing and will continue to push WF in the area of comms, specifically with their roadmap and feature requests disappearing into the apparent abyss! I do feel, however, that Workfront genuinly care and are working very hard to keep their customers happy, I applaud them for this. Thanks Workfront peeps!

Level 10
{{Laura}} Thanks. (a hush falls over the crowd as Eric unexpectedly steps up atop the soap-box) I used to be a consultant in the world of Marketing project management, working for a software company that would have been a competitor of WorkFront, had they existed back in the day. I have a lot of experience working with Marketing groups on how to manage their work and money. A little project management goes a long way in Marketing and WorkFront has a great technology solution for them. I don’t tune out the roadmap discussion because I’m fascinated watching how WorkFront is maneuvering to gain a lion’s share of this market space, having been there done that years ago. My conclusion is that, excepting the proofing capabilities, the new features they are rolling out COULD add value to PPM. Because they aren’t targeting those features to PPM users, however, the PPM users will tune out the presentation or will have to abstract away the value and mentally translate it to their application. Most people tune it out, I think. Therefore, the PPM community isn’t told how these features add value to what they do. That is unfortunate, because they could add value. We don’t see it because they aren’t positioning it to the PPM users. The fundamentals of Marketing are based on the five-p’s (in my old school of Marketing) and one of them is positioning - how are you going to describe the value proposition to a specific targeted audience. WorkFront has decided, in my opinion, to position their product nearly exclusively to Marketing, even though it has tremendous value for the PPM market space. I don’t think their product roadmap is focused on only marketing features. I think their go-to-market positioning strategy is. I’m suggesting that they should have two go-to-market positions - one focused on the Marketing space, and the other focused on the PPM market space. Then, they’ll be able to take a single capability in their product and explain the value proposition to two different market spaces essential to their revenue plan. That means they might have a Product Manager who represents the interests of the PPM market space within WorkFront. I assume they have one or more Product Managers who represent the interests of the Marketing community. What they would do is look at the product roadmap and determine how to position those features to their constituent market space. Having a Product Manager focused on the needs of PPM, and positioning the feature set to show the value to PPM doesn’t detract from WorkFront’s movement into the Marketing space. The opportunity to improve here isn’t in the product roadmap, it’s in the go-to-market strategy. (stepping off soapbox now…)

Level 7
Agree with your original post. Most definitely agree with #6 and wish there was a little more Q&A. I do learn a lot when hearing other folks questions so I'd love to see that as a part of these calls. Change takes time, patience and practice.

Level 4
It was an interesting call. A few observations: The "Follow" feature is much needed. As a former JIRA user, it was painful to not have this ability. I am curious, the presentation called out Tasks...hopefully we can follow Issues as well which is where the real value will fall for my firm. Also, did anyone notice whether we can add followers? That was another great thing with JIRA...you can only follow things you know exist, adding followers so they knew the Issue required their ongoing attention was great. Being able to shape the hours on tasks, if it works as advertised, is a hugely necessary feature long missing from the product. No one ever wants to use a resource and project management tool and be able to say, "but you can do this easily in MS Project!" I too would like to see a little more in the way of Q&A. Even if we get to pre-submit questions so that the panel has time to research answers fully. As far as the "focusing on marketers" ongoing dialog...this was never so clear as releasing a new feature that only works on Macs using Office365.

Level 2
These are all great comments. The idea to add a Q&A section to this call is very good one. We'll weave that into the next call. Keep the feedback coming.

Level 10
Jason - re the new Outlook add-in being released only for Macs using Office 365, that was a bit disappointing for us as we desperately need some improvements to the existing Outlook add-in. It counts us out for sure! I agree with Eric's observations regarding the need for some focus on positioning the product for PPM, rather than just marketing. I do my best to promote Workfront within our organisation, but some more PPM-oriented ammo would help Workfront's adoption and hopefully long-term future in our global organisation.

Level 10
Hi David & Jason, I am sorry there was a confusion around Office 365 Add-in capabilities. Outlook 365 Add-in is cross platform and can be used not only on PC but also Mac and phones and tablets. As long as you have Office 365 account and use the desktop version of it on your PC, the Add-in will be available for you as well. It would not make any sense to develop Office 365 add-in that works only on Mac :) Anna

Level 9
I too am hoping that the 'Follow' feature will aide in better use of the notifaction system as it relates to all request queue (project//task/issues/etc) and I hope soon ;-) In Reply to Jason Maust:
It was an interesting call. A few observations: The "Follow" feature is much needed. As a former JIRA user, it was painful to not have this ability. I am curious, the presentation called out Tasks...hopefully we can follow Issues as well which is where the real value will fall for my firm. Also, did anyone notice whether we can add followers? That was another great thing with JIRA...you can only follow things you know exist, adding followers so they knew the Issue required their ongoing attention was great. Being able to shape the hours on tasks, if it works as advertised, is a hugely necessary feature long missing from the product. No one ever wants to use a resource and project management tool and be able to say, "but you can do this easily in MS Project!" I too would like to see a little more in the way of Q&A. Even if we get to pre-submit questions so that the panel has time to research answers fully. As far as the "focusing on marketers" ongoing dialog...this was never so clear as releasing a new feature that only works on Macs using Office365.