Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Work Access Level

Level 2

I have two users who have Work access level. Both have a need to manage a project for themselves. I created a project for each and changed the project owner from me to them for their respective project. One user can add tasks on their own project and one cannot. I can't find any difference on their user record which could be causing this. Is there something else I should check? 

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

I would double check their access level to confirm that Edit (limited) for Projects is selected and Edit is selected for Tasks. In the gear icon next to Edit for Tasks, be sure that Create is selected - see screenshot. 

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 10.18.34 AM.png

 If both of those are selected, check the Sharing permissions on the project itself. The user must have Contribute permissions with the option to Add tasks selected - see screenshot. 

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 10.19.38 AM.png

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

I would double check their access level to confirm that Edit (limited) for Projects is selected and Edit is selected for Tasks. In the gear icon next to Edit for Tasks, be sure that Create is selected - see screenshot. 

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 10.18.34 AM.png

 If both of those are selected, check the Sharing permissions on the project itself. The user must have Contribute permissions with the option to Add tasks selected - see screenshot. 

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 10.19.38 AM.png

Level 2

Thank you, @NicholeVargas. It was the second area that you advised me to check. I'm not sure why this difference lies. I still think it must be something on the user level. I created both projects from scratch but one user defaulted to Contribute on her project, while the other user defaulted to View on her project. There was nothing special about the project setup, I started each project from scratch as a new project, no template involved. Do you know what could be causing the user defaults to be different for the projects? 

Employee Advisor

@ChristineFiorentino A few clarifying questions to try and nail this down: 

• Did you add both users as the Project Owner the same way?
  • Did you associate these projects to a program or portfolio? The inherited permissions could have trickled down giving one user more access than the other.
  • Are you a System Admin for your instance? Asking because if you only had View access to a certain program, and you created a project within that program, the highest level of permission you could give would be View. So, you would want to make sure that you (the person granting the permissions) has at least Contribute access to the object in which you are sharing. 

I would also check the Project Settings to see what is selected for Access. This can be found under Edit Project > Access > When someone is given access to this PROJECT.

Hi, @NicholeVargas. I appreciate the help you are lending.

• I did add the users as the project owners the same way. 
  • The projects are in different portfolios and different groups. 
  • I am a sys admin. 

I did finally get to the root of the problem. Linda was originally set up as a Requestor and after I had created her project and made her the project owner, I discovered she could not add tasks, I updated her license to Worker just as Sasha was set up (knowing that Sasha could manage a project she was the owner on with her user settings -- add tasks, etc.). What I did not understand was that the update to Linda would not affect anything retrospectively on Linda's project. So I found that I was able to go to Linda's project and update the project to Contribute as you shared above. That worked. It seems that the difference in user setup issue was just an issue of the sequential order of steps to update the license within the process of setting up the project.