Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Who's making admin changes?

Level 6
Hi! We've have run into a situation where a couple of changes were made to our WF setup and we'd like to identify who made those changes. There's obviously no way in workfront to see who made a setting change and there are several admin users in our system. We have now taken screenshots of all the pages under 'setup' so we at least know what our settings should be but it would be nice to identify who made those changes, albeit by accident. Thanks
14 Replies

Level 10
I have asked for logs as a feature request a long time ago. I think it's very important to have this as Workfront put several entities into an instance which could makes sense in a way but risky for administrators.

Level 10
I don’t know how to do this. I know WorkFront has detailed logs and if you open a ticket within a short time after a change is made, they might be able to look through their detailed logs and tell you. I don’t know for sure, but that’s the only way I can think of doing what you need. Eric

Level 6
The trouble is we’re not sure when these settings were changed. I’ll give it a go with support and see if they can find it anyway. Thanks Eric Laura Ray Junior Project Manager Bakkavor Information Systems Bakkavor Group West Marsh Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2BB, UK Direct: +44 (0)1775 763 010 www.Bakkavor.com // Laura.Ray@Bakkavor.com<

Level 10
It would be cool if as admins if we have logs as part of our arsenal. I administer to another application and we can browse all user actions from years past to most recent. There's timestamp, username, each action taken logged so at least it helps us to troubleshoot or go ask the last person touching a configuration file what was done.

Level 10
Hi Laura. At the risk of sparking a fire, might it be time to remove SysAdmin rights from all but one restricted account, to be used (in consultation) for significant setting changes? Regards, Doug

Level 10
Hi: Okay, Doug - we thought about that. We thought of having one and only one Admin account, and all of the admin people have regular PM-level access. When someone needs to make Admin changes, the Admin on duty makes the change using that one account and announces it to the group of Admins. We even thought of creating a request in a queue and then making the changes in alignment with what was in the queue. Lots of documentation to know who did what. It was felt that it was too much bureaucracy, so in the end, I am the only one who makes admin changes to the system. My other admins are permitted to make changes on projects, like a PM, but I’m the only one who goes into Setup and does anything. I like the idea of simply having access to system logs. I’d be happy logging into http://syslog.crowley.workfront.com/ (not a real URL, yet, of course). Then I log in and peruse sys logs for Crowley’s instance. That would be pretty neat. Thanks, Eric

Level 2
Good afternoon, We have found having one admin with a back-up will helps keep control of the configuration process. Kathy

Level 6
Yes agreed Doug. The only issue is that our helpdesk require admin priviliges for adding users etc and there's three of us on the admin team - mostly for cover in case one or two aren't available. I plan to thin out the admins today though and see if I can get it down to just our PMO admin team.

Level 6
You make a good point Eric and I'm sure that your old process is about to be suggested here. As usual I can now come back with experienced users (you) advice and suggest we don't go to logs. Surely it wouldn't take much for WF to produce a logging system???

Level 6
Eric, Update on my WF ticket - they say they can't produce anything like that! I'm losing faith in WF support to be honest, I rarely use them and always after asking the community for help/input. It seems like I get one of two answers 90% of the time - 1. submit a feature request or 2. escalated to our dev team. Neither are helpful

Level 10
That is disappointing, indeed. Hmmm, I’m not giving up yet. Please stand by. Thanks, Eric

Level 6
Agreed! Let me know what you find out - thanks :)

Level 3
We entered a feature request for this. Maybe if several of us do it will get prioritized. Shelly Long, PMP, CSSGB Marketing Traffic Manager Pier 1 Imports Accelerate to Excellence

Level 10
Hi Laura. Would you kindly send me an email at eric.lucas@crowley.com< , please? Thanks! Eric