Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

WF Release & Performance Impact

Level 2
All, There appears to have been a Workfront release (at least on my cluster) today as my users are seeing some UI changes - new icons etc. The trouble is that the users are saying performance has degraded and opening Workfront sometimes takes a minute, and searching just hangs, the issue or task is never returned. before i log a ticket with WF Support, I just wondered if anyone else is experiencing issues? It certainly isn't on all requests, but is happening sporadically, but enough that I've had 3 or 4 people mention it to me. Anyone else seeing the same problem today? Richard Richard Petley Coretexa
6 Replies

Level 8
Hi Richard, I actually logged a ticket on Monday about this, but I was the only person on my team that experienced the new icons (burndown chart for people, person icon for dashboard, arrows on assignments, etc.). Here is my ticket number if you want to link to it: Request #1162605 I was seeing it on all browsers and platforms. This afternoon at 5, more people on my team started seeing it, so I was not the only one. We also started having performance issues today, but I have yet to open a case for that. Adina

Level 2
Thanks Adina - it is good to know that we aren't the only people seeing these issues. I'm more worried about the performance problems than the new icons, so I will log that as a ticket today, but seeing it is quite sporadic, I'm not sure there is any concrete evidence I can give them. No mention of anything on their status page. https://trust.workfront.com/ Richard Petley Coretexa

Level 2
The performance problems seemed to have been resolved now - we aren't seeing the same problems we were earlier in the day. Richard Petley Coretexa

Level 10
Hi Richard, We also were experiencing some performance issues though it seems to be OK at the moment. More interestingly is the issue with the icons. We have had this issue on several occasions before and it relates to the Akamai cache (CDN) where the contents/index gets corrupted and it starts serving the wrong files/code to users. Akamai is a service used by Workfront and many other internet companies to cache data closer to users around the world in order to improve performance. The caches seem to be quite local to users...often specific to your ISP (or several ISPs in your country). To get the issue resolved, Workfront had to get their networks team to do a flush of the Akamai cache. After that, individual users may also need to clear their own browser caches if it is still not working. If icons are still an issue, you can refer Support to my previous tickets 1115630, 1131692, and 1132005 so they understand what was done previously to resolve the Akamai issues. Regards, David. David Cornwell

Level 2
David, We have previously had Akamai problems with Workfront, and it manifested itself by users not being able to view or access any documents in the system, which was a massive pain. The issue with the icons isn't really causing us a problem, so I think I will leave it for now and see if it clears itself over the weekend, otherwise I will then log it with WF to have a look at. Thanks for the background info. Richard Richard Petley Coretexa

Level 7
Hello everyone, I might be going into a bit more detail that most people would expect, but I wanted to give an update to what happened yesterday. Our network ops team investigated several instances where people were reporting performance issues, and were unable to see anything specific to any server node or server itself. When reporting performance issues to Workfront, we'd like to ask you to provide the following info if at all possible, so we can look at processes and server nodes that serve that specific type of data to users: 1) What page(s) are impacted (saying everything is slow doesn't help, saying "When I open the Projects tab, Projects I'm On, it takes ~15 seconds to load, and normally loads within ~5s" is extremely useful info for us.) 2) What users are impacted (This one is absolutely OK to say multiple users have reported this issue IF you have more than 2 people reporting it.) 3) What browsers have been tested? (Testing more than 1 browser can result in vastly different results. A personal testament to this issue is that it took 4 1/2 minutes for me to log into Preview with Windows 10 and Google Chrome. I opened Firefox and logged in within 10 seconds while waiting for Chrome to log in.) 4) When did the issue start (as specific as you can get will help us track down logs... such as (About 6:45am Pacific time) and please include your time zone, as we're based out of Utah (Mountain time) and need to make sure we're looking at the appropriate times in our logs.) 5) Lastly, what server node you're on. This one can be a bit confusing, even for seasoned veterans, as it's not really easy to find out. However, I've got a video I share with folks on how to grab the server node from Chrome. The same steps can be applied to most any browser, but it's up to you to determine how to get to that browser's developer console to get that information. Here's the video: