Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Weekly tasks in a template

Level 7
I'm setting up a template to cover a group of tasks that are performed every month. Tasks A, B, C, ... Task B is "Do X every Friday." What is the best solution for configuring this in a template? Recurring task didn't work. It set up a recurring task but in the next month the due dates were on Mondays instead of Fridays. My main problem seems to be that there isn't a set number of Fridays in any given month. What's the least labor intensive solution?
5 Replies

Level 2
Thank you for raising this problem. I'm also having the same issue - we are trying to do several templates for re-occurring work. I was debating opening a ticket, but will follow this discussion to see if there is a solution. Debra Ravareau Centene - G&A - Communication

Level 7

Hi @Brian McKinley You can set the recurring task to happen weekly? (please see screenshot). Does this help give you what you need as this should look at every Friday rather than the number of Fridays in a month? Vicky Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited0690z000007ZhjGAAS.png

Level 7
That's how the model project was set up. I looked at the template. It looks like the recurring tasks covert to just a regular parent/child when that is saved as a template. They got constraint dates of 0, 5, 10, 15, 20. So when I made one for the following month 0 converted to April 1, a Monday the project start date. Weirdly the task turns back into a recurring task when the project is created, but the recurrence frequency hasn't changed, so the project creator would have to edit that and set the dates to the start and end of the desired month. Brian McKinley IU Foundation Showalter House

Level 4
Hey Brian, Like you, I have not had any success with the recurring task functionality transferring to a template. The system is not set up for that...BUT I do have a solution for you! Utilize the ability to pick the day of week you want a task to start by using the "week" predecessor type. If you are not familiar with this, here is an example:

Level 7
Thanks, that looks like the solution I'm going to go with. Explaining to delete the 5th Friday if it isn't needed is a lot simpler than explaining the editing of a recurring task. Brian McKinley IU Foundation Showalter House