Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Web UI instability and performance issues

Level 10
Starting a couple of weeks ago, but really intensifying this week are user interface issues. I am getting bombarded many times daily by our users and have logged tickets for recurring cases of: Users update a task field and it reverts to the old field contents until they refresh their browser, after which it displays the new contents. Users update a task field and it (or a successor task) goes completely blank and needs the page to be refreshed. Sometimes the new data is retained and sometimes it is lost. Users update a field and then try to move to edit another task but they are locked in the current task and can't move. Again, a page reload seems to fix it. We are also still having massive browser freezing issues (related to very high browser memory usage - I suspect caused by Javascript). A fix for this is apparently in QA....we can't wait for this to be hopefully passed into production as this is a bigger issue for us even than the above task/field editing There's also another thread raised on this forum regarding report prompts intermittently not working in Chrome. Fun times.....
28 Replies

Level 7

We've been experiencing the same problems. Ticket in with WF. The most recent June push has not yet alleviated these problems. We've actually seen more problems this week (Thursday/Friday).

Change takes time, patience and practice.0690z000007ZkZ4AAK.png

Level 10
Agree and will log a support ticket too - the instability has been awful the past 3 days and our users are completely frustrated that they can't update their schedules, and frankly get their work done. I created a new schedule last night, and it took forever - kept blanking out my task info, sometimes it comes back - sometimes not. REpeatedly lost and had to re-enter changes I made (to any task field - dates, assignments, description, % Complete). Really unacceptable.

Level 9
Karlen, Heather, and everyone else, The blog post I'm working on is about how we are going to handle feature ideas, requests, and bug submissions in the community down the road. Before I can publish the post, we have some systems and procedures to work out with the product team. As far as an update regarding browzer freezing, I'll see if I can come up with some more specific details for you. The issues you're bumping into sound really frustrating, and I know that that is the last thing our team wants you to be experiencing. -Nate In Reply to Karlen Ruleman:
Nate, When will this blog post be up? My users are very frustrated by performance issues in the system (started about 3 weeks ago) and being able to communicate a plan that Workfront has committed to would be very helpful. Also, is there a specific date that the browser freezing fix will be in Production, since it was mentioned it would be this week? I am looking for it but don't see it yet. thanks, Karlen
-Nate Bagley --- Workfront Community Manager - Work Smart, Work Happy Message me directly at:

Level 7
Thanks for the update Nate! Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I don't know about anyone else, but fixing these performance issues is more important to me and my users than any of the new functionality planned in upcoming product pushes. It doesn't really matter what new tools we get if basic performance isn't keeping up with our users building and updating their project plans & tasks. Thanks! David Change takes time, patience and practice.

Level 10
In the past, when there were a series of cloud hosting outages, there was a statement posted by Workfront's CTO/CIO. I'm not sure how aware Workfront's executives are of the UI stability issues, but my assessment is that this is just about as serious as the hosting outages. This is not a peripheral issue...this affects core daily useability/integrity of the system. We have all raised tickets about the issues (I have several) but there is little proactive information coming back from Workfront. When I follow up the tickets, I'm been told that a fix is in QA but no news on when it will be available.

Level 2
All - Just wanted to chime in again to let everyone know about the progress of the aforementioned issues in this thread that we're seeing. We thank you for coming to us with feedback and for those logging tickets with Support, it helps to bring visibility to our Development teams. We understand the criticality of these issues and our teams are working to prioritize it as such. Rest assured that your concerns are not going unheard and we are looking to get these defects resolved as quickly as possible for you. At this time, the best course of action (if you haven't already) would be to create a ticket with our Support team with the information you have about the defect you're seeing. Although the defects already have Development eyes on them, it's always better to provide as many cases as possible to ensure a quicker resolution. Thanks everyone, Tyler

Level 10
Thanks for monitoring this and providing a follow-up, Tyler. The latest from our point of view.... We were advised that a patch was applied to our system last Friday but we are still experiencing many of these screen lock-ups per day, so it is back with development. It could be that some of the cases were resolved but we were not seeing a noticeable improvement yet. We were also advised that substantial work is going into a future overhaul of the 'lists' functionality, however we can't wait for this to be released, so are pushing to get the current version fixed asap.

Level 10
Hi all - just a follow-up on this on my return from vacation. Performance and stability is massively improved compared to where things were at a couple of months ago. The two key issues that were impacting previously were general system speed due to browser memory usage, and also a "blank lines" / screen locking issue. Both seem to have been resolved at this point. I just wanted to say thanks to the Workfront team for their ongoing efforts to improve the system in this area. I know there is still ongoing work in this area (e.g. the new lists function) but your efforts are already benefiting us and greatly appreciated. Keep it up! Regards, David.