Expand my Community achievements bar.

Waterfall Projects brought into a Sprint

Level 7
So, this has been a huge learning curve even after being in LEAP session about just this. is there a way around this.... our waterfall projects tend to have all due dates set as "as soon as possible" and many of these projects have a total of a week TAT with some tasks only allowing portions of a day (hours) when tasks from waterfall projects are thrown into sprint the due date on task (and it doesn't see to affect predecessors which is weird) takes on the duration of sprint - will tasks still be affected that way if time constraints are placed on them? Interesting how sprint over road everything we can't have that....maybe agile /scrum are not intended for quick turns on rush projects... any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!! Tegwyn Stockdale Workfront System Admin / Production Coordinator BayCare Clearwater, Florida Baycare Health System, Inc.
4 Replies

Level 10
Yep, we have the same issue so we don't recommend to our teams to use the hybrid approach (ie mixing waterfall into agile). We couldn't find a way around this. The only thing my team does is rename some waterfall tasks with the due date in the task name - but again, in general we tell teams not to mix. Katherine Haven, PMP VP, Director, Business Technologies - PMO FCB

Level 10
Same here. The assignment to a Sprint will change the Planned Completion Date to the last day of the Sprint/Iteration. Which is bad in at least two ways, 1) we don't want the date to change, and 2) what if the task will be done earlier in the Sprint? Hope there's a feature coming up to allow us to turn that off. In the meantime we just made a rule to not assign tasks that are in a project to a Team (thus they can't be assigned to a Sprint). Every project task should have an individual assigned (no Teams). And our Agile Teams work with their normal tasks and Sprints.

Level 7
Thanks for feedback @Vic Alejandro and @Katherine Haven - I am just circling back to see replies. In the mean time I have set up an agile template (tasks assigned to agile team) that lives above our production template ....it contains "pre-work" tasks that PM's need to to before creative gets involved and we add our template underneath and start predecessor relationship at that point....top schedule tasks have a few duplicated below and they will need to complete at same time in both places (unless that "chain tasks-thing" means something like they can be set to complete at same time?)- but the dates above reflect sprints. first parent task is just a repeat of the project name so children can follow....idk if this is a good idea and just set up today for testing so we'll see! Tegwyn Stockdale Workfront System Admin / Production Coordinator BayCare Clearwater, Florida Baycare Health System, Inc.

Level 10
Yeah you can set the predecessors (I assume that's what you meant on "Chain thing" �� ) to have tasks start at the same time or finish at the same time if that helps. They're called Start to Start and Finish to Finish. You can use them by just typing your pred task # followed by SS or FF. And make sure your Task Constraint is As Soon As Possible. Hope that helps.