Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Update a task in Project 1 when a task is completed in Project 2

Level 4
Is there any way to link the completion of a task in one project to the status of a task in a different project? Use case: A marketing program with multiple projects. A series of deliverables are updates to the website but the web team manages all of their tasks through a different project/project. We'd like to have a single project in the marketing program called "Web Updates: XXXX Initiative" with 8 tasks, each presenting one of the changes that's being made. Can those tasks be linked to the status of the corresponding tasks in the separate web project so that we can see the status of the web efforts in the same place as all of the other initiatives in the marketing program? Another approach that we are considering is to create all of the web tasks in the marketing initiative program but assign them to a web scrum team so they are handled on the scrum board but maintained in the other project. Anyone have experience with either of these approaches? Thanks, Chris Chris Watson KVH Industries, Inc.
3 Replies

Level 8
I believe only issues can be resolved by other tasks, so you can't use resolving objects to automatically close a task in Project A when a related task in Project B is complete. However, you can set cross-project dependencies to that Task 1 in Project A isn't ready to commence until Task 2 in Project B is complete. You can then use isReady or handoffDate to build reports/dashboards to show this. https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/Understanding-Cross-Project-Predecessors-in-the-new-Workf... Barry Buchanan - WMA Work Management Australia

Level 4
Chris, I can get you close without an integration or using the API. Each task has a setting called Tracking Mode with 4 choices. On the single marketing project, set all 8 tasks to "Auto Complete". Then use a cross-project predecessor with Finish-Finish from task 1 to the last task or overall parent task of the project that will then drive when task 1 of the single marketing project will be complete. As long as the planned completion date is maintained in project 2, task 1 will automatically complete on that date. I don't know if I made this more confusing then it needs to be but I am happy to get on a screen share to show you how it would work. Good Luck!! David
DAVID A. TAYLOR SVP, Managed Services Rego Consulting Email: "mailto:david.taylor@regoconsulting.com" david.taylor@regoconsulting.com Cell: 303-519-5238

Level 4
Thanks, David. This was very helpful and exactly what I needed. Chris Watson KVH Industries, Inc.