Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Translations management

Level 1
Hi, Is anyone using Workfront to track translations of content that would be willing to share their process? Thank you, Tedi McCord
8 Replies

Level 2
We are using Workfront to track our translation workflow and the proofing area for routing translation in layout for reviews. Liisa Blick Amway

Level 2
Hi Tedi, Our plan is to use Workfront for translations management, however we are still pre go-live so my response here is still a bit theoretical. In our case, translations typically go through full linguistic validation with review by a clinician, and are presented either in paper or electronic format to the end user. The phase I plan is to replace our internal paper approval processes with WF approval workflows, and for any internal content review and markups of the base English to be done in WF Proof prior to translation request. We will still rely on our external partners to manage their translation workflows and distributed teams, but I think there is an opportunity to host all of the translation and validation work within WF Proof from base English to delivery of the Certificate Of Translation. I'd love to hear from anyone in the user community who have taken their processes externally. Thanks Jeff Thell Bracket Global

Level 1
Hi! We are using Workfront for our translation workflows too. We have an external translation vendor who handles the initial translation, we have a Spanish copy editor to review the accuracy, then our designer will format/layout. Our designer is also Spanish speaking so that is our 2nd accuracy checkpoint. We can track count of translation projects completed, time spent to complete the project. We can also track time spent down to the task level i.e. how long did it take to copy review. Ideally, our external vendor would be a worker in Workfront who can pick up the attached documents on the issue, participate in updates/comments, log time, etc. We are still a ways out from that though. Hope this is helpful! Cassandra Verbo BayCare Health System, Inc.

Level 2
Just to clarify... we use Workfront to track the languages we are translating our deliverable [literature, web banner, email]. When we open a job, we have an automation we had created for us to add language steps for each language selected by our job owner. We translate with an outside vendor into Spanish, French, Chinese, Korean, Russian. We have a radio button for each language that the job owner selects. The translation is performed outside of Workfront, and is routed in layout for our language editors to review in Workfront Proof. Hope this helps. I'd be happy to discuss offline/phone if you would like. Liisa Blick Amway

Level 2
We kick off a separate translation project for those items that need translating, as we use an external vendor, and if we kept it within the original project, there would be a lot of projects sitting in progress for several weeks while we wait to receive the translations back. We have a field within the custom form of the original request where the requester lets us know if they need translations and in which languages, so the PM knows at the start of the project they will need to kick off a separate project for the translations once the English file is complete. All of the actual work of the translations takes place outside of Workfront, so our project template is very simple. It's mostly a way to remember that we have documents out for translation and ensures we close the loop on the original request. Malisa Lieser Tennant

Level 1

Hi MalisaLi, I know that this is a really old post, but this is something that I am looking to do within my group as well because the way that we do it now is very tedious and not great for reporting. Do you have an image screenshot you could share or anything to show how you set this up, because this is more what we are looking to do! 

Level 1
I'm interested to see how this works, as we have the issue you raised where our projects remain open forever while the translations tasks occur. Would you be amenable to posting a screen shot of how you set this us within your project? It sounds like something that would likely work for our projects, we just haven't come up with a neat way of setting it up! Tory Reiff KVH Industries, Inc.

Level 9
We are a translation services provider, so we our primary use for Workfront is the daily management of translation requests from our customers. We use in-house-built integrations to load word counts into projects and to create POs for our individual translation vendors. Each linguistic step (translation, copyediting, proofreading or online review if necessary) is represented as a separate task in the project and has a negotiated due date. (For the vast majority of projects, these tasks are open for a week or less.) We already had a highly structured review process in place before we migrated to Workfront, and we have not yet found a compelling reason to switch to Workfront Proof. All the review and other post-translation activities take place outside of Workfront but are represented by project tasks. We have toyed with the idea of setting up all of our translation suppliers in Workfront (probably with Review licenses), but there are thousands of them, and most prefer to work via email, in any case. For now, they exist in Workfront as "placeholder" (nonlicensed) users that we assign to the translation tasks for purposes of assigning a PO and tracking the work. Hope that helps! Eric Manning Language Line Translation Solutions