Expand my Community achievements bar.

Tracking Rounds of Edits

Level 4
I am searching for an automatic and simple way to track the rounds of edits or revisions to for all our projects. Scenario : One of our WF groups is a creative services / design marketing team. Their projects consist of editing and creating content (flyers, brochures, etc.). Clients wants new content created; a project is created and assigned to a designer, the designer creates the content and uploads it to WF for the client to approve/disapprove. Question : What is the easiest way to track how many rounds of approvals the designer and client went through for each project? We want to show how many rounds of edits a single project had also on average, how many rounds are all our projects over time. We thought of creating a project custom field that would act as a counter. For example, at the end of each round the designer manually increases the customer field by one. However, we would much rather figure out an automatic process if that is possible. Any advice or ideas? Denver Lemont Cardinal Health
5 Replies

Level 10
Hi Denver, One easy solution would be to adopt the convention of always "drag and dropping" each new revision of a document onto its existing version in Workfront. Doing so will automatically assign a version number to each "drop", in the background. You could then create a document report that sorts (desc) and/or groups by version number, instantly highlighting the documents that went through the most revisions.

Level 10
Yeah I was going to say the same thing. Here's a screen shot in how the versions appear in the Project when you drag the new version directly on to the same document. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 4
Thank you Doug and Vic for the advice. However, if I go with this approach I am still having issues with creating some of our desired reports. How would make the following reports? 1. Bar chart: X axis is project name Y axis is version number. There will be a filter to show only projects from the current month. We can see from all of our projects, which project(s) have had the highest amount of revisions 2. Line graph: X axis is actual completion date Y axis is average rounds of edits (version number). We want to see on average, are our projects have more or less rounds of revisions than the previous month. In addition, I'm having difficulty tracking total rounds of revisions by using this approach because projects may contain multiple documents. The total rounds of revisions will usually only be from one of the documents in the project. However, they may be editing two documents for a single project. In addition, there are always other documents in the project like the creative brief and any other needed reference material. Any advice? Denver Lemont Cardinal Health

Level 10
Hi Denver, Since it sounds like there are only certain Documents (e.g. "Deliverables") for which you want to track the average number of Versions, I'd suggest you either find a clever way to filter for them (e.g. Version Number > 1, assuming that the other type of documents are either never revised, or dropped and replaced; or perhaps those with ISBLANK(TaskID) false, assuming such deliverables are attached to Taartsks, and the other more generic documents are attached to Projects), or (ewww) manually tag the documents with a custom data parameter (such as and "Is Deliverable" checkbox) so that you can be certain your report is only grabbing the documents you care about. As for your charts, once you've filtered as above (plus your "this month" concept), I think that as long as you add Version to your view with an "Average" aggregate on it, both of the charts you're describing should be possible. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Community Advisor
We have a very similar need and I think this will get us closer to an answer. I'm not sure if you can, but if you can filter that the document is in a folder, you could create a folder on your templates (so that its on every project) called "deliverables" or "for client" something along those lines Monique Evans Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.