Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Tip Jar Topic: "Guess" or "Know" the Right Project Start Date?

Level 10

0690z000008KrwTAAS.png

During a recent Executive Coaching session, I ran into a tricky but common challenge. The Templates I am helping them design are to prepare for multi-million dollar maintenance upgrades that are scheduled two years in advance. The "Main Event" is about three quarters of the way through the timeline, and cannot move. Given that the Project might be created on any given day (sometimes even after it should already have started)…how the heck do you choose the right Project Start Date so that the Template hits the Main Event?

The Old Way(s)

• Best guess, then "nudge" at few times with better guesses
  • Count backwards on your fingers (short Projects), or use a calculator (long Projects)
  • Use two Templates: Plan From Completion on the First up to start of Main Event, then Plan From Start after Main Event
  • Any Others you can add to the Tip Jar...?

The New Way

• I created an animated gif to illustrate the solution I worked out during that Executive Coaching session. Since's been looping as you read this the start is where there's no "Solution" shown yet in the bottom.
  • I also created a new blog entry on our website, too, in case it's easier to read there.

Regards,

Doug0690z000008KrwdAAC.gif

4 Replies

Level 10

Very nice, Doug. If I understood your explanation correctly, this is how it would look in Workfront?0690z000008KrwiAAC.pngI saved this as a template, then when using it to create a new project, I just choose the start date to be 1 year earlier than the desired "Go-Live" date (task 4). This gets me to within a couple of days of the desired date. I then just change the milstone task, and the tasks either side of it adjust to suit. Is this how you intended it?

Cheers,

Level 10

Thanks David -- yep: you're spot on!

Regards,

Doug

Level 10
Cool. You then delete the 'Handle' task, and if you want you can then also change the project start date to be the same as the first real task. Easy-peasy. :) David Cornwell

Level 10

Yep: very easy. Thanks again, David. Only took me 10 years to figure out.

I also had an offline question about "why ALAP" for the Tasks preceding the Main Event. Here's my reply, noting that your situation and experience might certainly differ:

The ALAP comes from several (intense) theoretical discussions I've had with the Center of Excellence execs at my new client, which improved our appreciation of how to model real world projects using project management software. Generically speaking, when there's a main event, in order to hit it, tasks can only wait so long (ALAP) until -- if you miss -- the main event will be impacted. Although most project plans use ASAP, circumstances (and human nature) make ALAP a more realistic choice for such preceding tasks. Conversely, once the Main Event is occurring (and during the wrap up stage, after it), ASAP is a better choice, as the system then encourages people to simply get 'er done, since there's no longer a deadline, as such.

Regards,

Doug