Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Temporary Critical Path

Level 2
I would like to be able to select a task in my Gantt Chart and see what the critical path is to that task. Not the critical path for the overall project, just to the task I select. Does anyone know of a way to do this? Matt Strong Senior Project Manager but new to WorkFront ATL Technology, LLC
10 Replies

Level 10
Hi Matt, I'm not aware of a way to do that out of the box. If you're using predecessors to link your task dependencies, then you can create a field on a view which shows you information about predecessor tasks (names/dates/assignments etc). The below example will show you the name of the immediate predecessor task/s. You can substitute for other fields instead of 'name'. displayname=Predecessor Info listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(predecessors).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression={predecessor}.{name} valueformat=HTML In calculated fields it is possible to use a nested relationship such as parent.parent.parent.parent.name but I can't seem to get that to work for displaying predecessors of predecessors. Someone else might know how to do this. Regards, David Cornwell

Level 10
Hi Matt, Riffing off David's suggestion, you might also consider: creating a text based Calculated Custom Parameter called "Task Critical Path" (aka TCP) create a Task based custom form called "Task Critical Path Form" (aka TCPF) set the TCP formula to this: IF(ISBLANK(Parent.ID)IF(ISBLANK(Parent.ID) ,"" ,IF(ISBLANK(Parent.{DE:Task Critical Path}) ,Parent.Name ,CONCAT(Parent.{DE:Task Critical Path},' >> ',Parent.Name) )) add the TCP to the TCPF add the TCPF to every Task (and Template Task) adding the TCP to a Task view, resulting in something similar to the screenshot below Note that this summarizes Work Breakdown Structure hierarchy vs predecessors , but in case it aligns with your world of work, might be worth a shot. Even further on the fringe...you could also inject other attributes such as % Complete into the equation to give context as to "how close" the Task Critical Path is getting, but if so, I'd suggest also "http://store.atappstore.com/product/force-custom-data-double-recalc/">scheduling a periodic recalc to ensure the contents stay "fresh". Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
That's pretty cool, @Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore ....it would be very handy in terms of users understanding the WBS heirarchy at a point in the plan, even if not the critical path directly. Obviously it's reliant on custom forms being attached, which is where this sort of thing gets a bit fraught. Yes, you can set it in templates but when users add new tasks it's not attached and then you have to sort out a process to add the forms. Now, it would be a great feature if Workfront could allow you to specify certain custom forms to attach to new tasks by default...perhaps at a system level and then able to be over-ridden at portfolio/program/project levels. Given your extensive use of custom data, I presume you've already asked Development for a feature like this? David Cornwell

Level 10
Thanks David, I did take a crack at including predecessors into the mix, too, but although the predecessor object is a (Lazy Read) option via the API, I could not find a way to get at it through the Calculated Custom Form syntax, either. Auto-attaching forms by default sounds great (and familiar), but no, I've not asked for it -- perhaps an Idea Share opportunity? -- but we do have it on our "http://store.atappstore.com/product/ubercalc/">UberCalc roadmap. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 2
Thank you everyone for your help. With holidays upon us, I will not have time to try these suggestions until after the new year. I will let you all know how it goes. Matt Strong Senior Project Manager but new to Workfront ATL Technology, LLC

Level 1
OMG David thank you! I've been looking for this info for days!! Now to get it to display the Predecessor Task Status! :-) Kiki Carr CHOA

Level 10
Hi Kiki - glad this was useful. So just in case you weren't sure, to show the predecesoor task status you can use the below. Note that this will give you the 3 letter code for it. NEW = New / INP = In Progress / CPL = Complete. I'm not aware of a way to get it to show the full "Status Label" instead. displayname=Predecessor Info listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(predecessors).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression={predecessor}.{status} valueformat=HTML David Cornwell

Level 10
I was just going through this post and noticed that @David Cornwell had mentioned auto-attaching forms. There are numerous requests on the idea exchange for this feature. From what I have found all the duplicate requests have been closed. The following is a link to the "master request" that they are tracking votes on. As of today, it has 39 votes, it getting close. Maybe sharing this info will help generate some more interest / votes! :) "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115001231467-Custom-Task-or-Project-Fields-that-Default-on-Every-Object">CUSTOM TASK OR PROJECT FIELDS THAT DEFAULT ON EVERY OBJECT Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU

Level 10
I just tried to push it over the top to 40, but apparently I already voted for it.

Level 10
Thanks for trying @Vic Alejandro ! Three new votes were added so we are up to 42 now! :) Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU