Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Tasks not associated to a project

Level 2
This might have already been discussed, but I can't seem to find a thread or article anywhere. Sometimes in my company, we create one-off tasks from the My Work page that aren't necessarily associated to a project. When the task is completed, it seems to disappear. Where does it go? Do all tasks need a parent project? Thanks, Tori Alexander Utilitec
4 Replies

Level 1
Level 1
Hi Tori, The task will be removed from My Work when it's marked complete, but it still exists. If you need to access the same task again you can find it using the search. Shannon Gormley Merrick Towle Creative

Level 10
Yeah as Shannon said it still exists and can be found in a search. I believe Workfront calls them "personal" tasks when you don't specify a project for them to reside in. Meant to be used for... well personal tasks (i.e. training you want to take, etc.). But as you found sometimes they can be difficult to find if you want to go back and look at something that was closed. Picture this being 6 months down the road and you can't remember the name to do a search on. So in general it's probably a good practice that all Tasks & Issues should have a project or as I prefer to call it, "a home" (since it's not a true standard project). We set up a "Team Project" for each Agile team, where their Tasks and Issues reside. And we named them XYZ Team Project so we know it's not a standard project (and can filter the out of reports if we wanted – or filter them in �� ). This was the recommendation of our WF Implementation Consultant, and I believe it's worked well for us.

Level 10
They also should be listed on the Accomplishment tab within your personal page. Dagmara Garwell BAKKAVOR LTD

Level 7
Hi Tori, Vic is pretty darn close on this one, they are indeed Personal tasks. I've found many clients I've worked with use them frequently, or at least their users do, even if they don't know they do. To track these, I'd recommend creating a task report, grouping by manager name, then assigned to name, and adding a filter for Task>Personal - Equals - True, and that'll show you all of them. You can of course modify the view, grouping, or filters to fit your need, I've just seen those I've mentioned as the most common settings. I hope this helps you all out! Thanks, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront