Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Task Field to Count # of Assigned Users?

Level 1
Is there a way on a report to display a count of the # of users currently assigned to a task? Essentially I want to use that to set up another custom field so that users can see their allocation in a report. E.g. Bob, Jim, Kyle are assigned to a 3 hour task. The calculated assignment will measure their allocation as 1 hour each on the task. When I pull a report for their week, I want Bob to see that although there's a 3 hour task, his assigned hours are only 1. I'm aware that My Work / Scheduling can do this in a live view, I just want my users to be able to see this in a report when they're looking at a task list. Theron Lalla Marcel Digital
2 Replies

Level 10
Hi Theron, Well, you can't really do this via a custom field because you are counting something that is underneath the task in the data structure. Now there are two things I've done in the past that might help out. First one is an Assignment report: That way a team can have see what everyone is working (tasks and issues) and it can be grouped by User. Because an assignment uses the assignee as the line item, if you have a task with three people on it, there will be three line items. So you can easily group by user and see that the task appears under each user's name. The big thing about assignment reports is that it separates task and issue data. So in my report I put Task Name and then Issue name next to it. Then you go into the text mode of the Task Name. Change the displayname to equal "Task/Issue Name" and then add sharecol=true to the bottom. This will combine the task name and issue name columns into one column. You can do the same thing for planned start and completion dates for tasks and issues. It is a better UX for the end user. If you want to sort by Planned Completion, I highly recommend that you use a grouping to separates tasks and issues because even though the date columns are combined, you can only sort by task completion date first and then issue completion date second. For that grouping uses this code group.0.displayname=Assignee group.0.linkedname=assignedTo group.0.valuefield=assignedTo:name group.0.valueformat=string group.1.displayname=Work Type group.1.valueexpression=IF(ISBLANK({task}.{plannedCompletionDate}),"Issue","Task") group.1.valueformat=HTML textmode=true Also, make sure you in your filtering you have an OR statement separating tasks and issues. Here is an example from one of my reports (obviously the Team ID won't work in your instance) task:status=CPLtask:status=CPL task:status_Mod=notin assignedTo:homeTeamID=59edae5d0001bb3d13bda8be637699f4 assignedTo:homeTeamID_Mod=in project:status=CUR project:status_Mod=in status=DN status_Mod=notin OR:1:assignedTo:homeTeamID=59edae5d0001bb3d13bda8be637699f4 OR:1:assignedTo:homeTeamID_Mod=in OR:1:project:status=CUR OR:1:project:status_Mod=in OR:1:opTask:status=CAN CLS DUP NAN OR:1:opTask:status_Mod=notin OR:1:status=DN OR:1:status_Mod=notin Second one is a custom column utilizing a collection: Here is the main one that we use in task reports or views. (it does include the job role in case something is still unassigned) displayname=Assignment Breakdown listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(assignments).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=CONCAT({assignedTo}.{name}," (",{role}.{name},") - ",{workRequired}/60,IF({workRequired}/60>ABS(1)," Hours"," Hour")) valueformat=HTML Hope this is helpful Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 1
Thanks Anthony, your second option actually gets me pretty close. Now what I need to do is count the number of items in the assignment list that generates. Or even rounding up and counting them all as 1 would help. Where do you get your custom list guide? I haven't seen any guides yet that show me how to use the list methods and iterations - can you point me to those? Theron Lalla Marcel Digital