Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Sub-projects: 1) How to pull through custom fields, 2) How to view

Level 3
We are using what we call Master Projects to capture Program level tasks (ie- initial program setup, maintenance account work, etc). We are then creating issues on the Master and converting those to Creative sub-projects so that they are tied to the specific Master (since there is no true "sub-project" level). I am having difficulty with the following: 1) I can pull through custom field information from the Master to the Issue being converted, but then it gets lost once the Issue is converted to a sub-project...even though I am using the same calculated field on the sub-project custom form (using direction from the Support site on "copying fields"). 2) I am having difficulty viewing a report that shows the Master with the Creative sub-projects nested under it. When I pull a Program level report it shows all of the projects together in one list. Theoretically we could have say 3 Masters under 1 Program with each Master having 10 sub-projects under it so we would want to see each of the 10 under their respective Master. I suspect I need to do a calculated field "Is this a Sub-project?" and then pull the report using that field..? I've not been able to find much in the community regarding the use of converting issues to get sub-projects under a "master" but wanted to see if anyone has some guidance. We are in the early phase of configuration so are just now delving into custom/calculated fields & reporting/dashboards. Thanks! Ondina Senior Program Analyst
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10
Hi Ondina, This is an interesting scenario. Regarding Part 2 of your question, I can add some info but not a complete solution. There may be others who can expand on it and create a text mode grouping. Outside of Workfront's web UI, I have created an API query which returns the Project name (master project) of the Issue that the sub project was created from. It does this using the Project Collection called 'resolvables'. The field reference from the API query is: resolvables:project:name Potentially, someone can create a text mode grouping using the above. I have tried and no luck yet. Regards, David

Level 3
Hi David, thanks for the feedback. Our config consultant actually just figured it out. Use the following calculation on the Project custom form (sourcing the calculated field that is on the Issue custom form which is pulling through Master level data) and attach when you are converting the issue: IF(ISBLANK(Custom Calculated Field Name),"Not Assigned",Custom Calculated Field Name) For the View question, I'll see about using a calculated field to identify something as a sub-project as I learn more about how those field types work. Thanks again, Ondina

Level 10
How has this been working for you? I have a Parent/Child project on the idea exchange but in the meantime this might help us out tremendously. What things have you learned since this that you can share with us? Would you mind voting up this idea? Here is the link. Parent-Child-Projects Thank you, Michael

Level 3
We're actually not using it much anymore. After hearing how other user's handle things at Leap we decided to move most of our info to the Program and essentially use it to house the 'master proj' data. We are still creating a 'master', but what we were using as sub-projects are now just projects under the same Program as the master. And I up-voted your Idea! I also added one in Other for Best Practice location in the Community - please up-vote!! :) In keeping with that, below are my calcs when using the Issue conversion for 'sub-projects'. This particular calculation provides a link to the Master Project on the sub-projects you create (I thought it would be helpful for users to always have a way to get back to the master). I came across the URL on the help site here, https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/217518067-View-External-URL-Using-Custom-Data-Field, and then just updated it to pull Project not Task overview info. Lastly, the Help site mentions copying a Proj Custom Form and saving as Issue Custom Form in order to pull stuff through (you have to update calcs though), we ran into issues with this where we had a changed a name on the Proj Custom Form (and deleted others that had previously been on the form when it was copied) which then broke the Issue Custom Form, just an fyi. Thankfully we haven't fully launched yet so were able to fix. Carrying through calculated field from master project to sub project via issue conversion - trick is to name all of the fields the same as the original one but change the calculations 1. Put source calculated field on MASTER. 2. On ISSUE, from the library, use the calculated field from step 1 but change calc to Project.{source calc field}. 3. Attach form to the issue and convert to project. 3. On SUB PROJECT custom form added at conversion or on the template , use library calculated field again but change calc to IF(ISBLANK {source calc field} ,"", {source calc field} ) Example: MASTER PROJECT CUSTOM FORM- Label: Master Project URL Calc: CONCAT("https:// YOURDOMAIN .my.workfront.com","/","project/view?ID=",ID,"&activeTab=tabs-project-details-forms") ISSUE CUSTOM FORM- Label: Master Project URL Calc: Project.Master Project URL SUB PROJECT CUSTOM FORM- Label: Master Project URL Calc: IF(ISBLANK(Master Project URL),"",Master Project URL) When I'm not pulling a system field like the URL, I enter "Please update this on the X Custom Form" so that users know where to go to fix it since they can't edit the calc field on the lower object. Hope this makes sense and helps some - thanks for reaching out! Ondina